14th C. Life of Dionysius the Areopagite

Martinus

It is me again, imploring help as I struggle through the Vita of Denis, written by Yves of Saint-Denis for Philip IV of France.

The following passage is part of a praise of the city of Paris. The historian Peggy Brown has paraphrased the passage thus: "This let him [Yves] to compare Paris and Athens, and declare Paris the mother of wisdom, promoter of the liberal and philosophical arts, and of Catholic truth, and thus inspirer not only of France but also of all of Christianity." I would greatly appreciate your help in translating it...

Eni(m) sicut totam greciam decorauit ea que tem-
poralem tibi dedit ortum athenarum ciuitas libera-
lium artium mater. philosophoru(m) nutrix . et fons
omnium scientiarum . quam et super omnia tue
claritatis ubiq(ue) terrarum fama peruolans co(m)me(n)-
dauit . sic et ea que per te spiritalem in xpo suscep(i)t
ortum ac etiam incrementum parisior(um) ciuitatis ue-
lut sapientie mater de omnib(us) quasi mu(n)di parti-
b(us) ad se uenientes recolligens omnib(us) in necessa-
riis subueniens . omnes pacifice regens liberaliu(m)
philosophicarumq(ue) artium pre ceteris ueritatis ca-
tholice cultrix debitricem sapientib(us) et insipientib(us)
se ostendens . non solum franciam cuius ciuitas ex-
istit . quin totius xpianitatis terminos sublima-
uit. per te inq(ua)m per te hoc mag(ist)ror(um)1 optime dyo-
nisi .

Here is where I am currently at:

Indeed just as she [Athens?] decorated all Greece … gave to you a worldly birth …
Athens, the mother of liberal arts, the nourisher of philosophers, the fountain of all sciences,…how and above all the fame of your renown spreading through all parts of the world he/she/it praised; just as she which through you received spiritual birth in Christ, and even growth of the city of Paris as the mother of wisdom of everything collecting those coming from all parts of the world, helping all in need, ruling all through peace of the liberal and philosophical arts, before all as the worshipper of catholic truth, showing herself as debtress to the wise and foolish, elevated non only France of whom the city steps forth , but indeed the limits of Christendom, through you, Dionysus, greatest of all teachers.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I can attempt to give some help, hopefully if I make mistakes someone else will notice. Not sure what gender to use in English for cities, here I guessed neuter.

Indeed just as the city which gave you wordly birth, Athens, has given honour to Greece as a mother of liberal arts, nourisher of philosophers, and source of all sciences, and that the fame of your reputation, spreading everywhere in the world, has made valuable above all else, similarly that city, which through you has undertaken a spiritual birth and even growth in Christ, Paris, gathering, like a mother of wisdom, all who came to it from all parts of the world, helping in all times of need, ruling all peacefully, a fosterer of Catholic truth before the other liberal and philosophical arts, showing itself as a debtress to the wise and unwise, has elevated not only France, of which it is a city, but the boundaries of all Christianity through you, I say, through you, Dionysus, greatest of teachers.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Actually I am not sure if liberalium philosophicarumque artium refers to omnes or ceteris. In the former case if should mean "guiding peacefully all of the liberal and philosophical arts, fosterer of Catholic truth above everyone else"

Martinus

That's incredibly helpful, thank you, Laurentius! I now figure that the speech is addressed to Dionysius/ St.Denis. Athens gave "worldly birth" to Denis, and he, in turn. spiritual birth to Paris. It all makes sense now. So with slight adjustments to your rendition, this is how I would put it now:

Indeed just as the city which gave you [Dionysius] worldly birth, Athens, has given honour to all of Greece as a mother of the liberal arts, nourisher of philosophers, and source of all sciences, similarly and more so the fame of your [D.’s] reputation, spreading everywhere in the world, has commended that [other] city, Paris, which through you [D.] has undertaken a spiritual birth and even growth in Christ, gathering, like a mother of wisdom, all who came to her from all parts of the world, helping in all times of need, guiding peacefully all of the liberal and philosophical arts, a fosterer of Catholic truth above everyone else, and showing herself as a debtress to the wise and unwise, has elevated not only France, of which she is a city, but the boundaries of all Christianity through you, I say, through you, Dionysius, greatest of teachers.