Cicero made a pun which he never knew.

John Cook

In pro Milone, Cicero mentions a " vulnus in latere, quod acu punctum videretur ". A wound in his side, which seemed like a pin prick. acu punctum, however, could today be safely in this instance be translated as acupuncture, which gives an even greater contrast.

John Cook

I would say "at a stretch" rather than "safely".

Hmmm, in order not to stretch this point too far, I still think that I would translate acu punctum as a " pin prick " , but as a pun, acupuncture hits the mark. How would you translate " Salus " in these lines Nasonis?

" Hanc tuus e Getico mittit tibi Naso salutem;
mittere si quisquam, quo caret ipse, potest. "

Obviously, the Latin combines the meanings of Hello, and Safety, Good health, et alia, but in English the connection is a bit strained. Very loosely, I would translate it as Goodday. What do you think?

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Origin of acupuncture

1675–85; < Latin acū with a needle (ablative of acus needle) or acu- (as combining form of acus) + puncture

Dictionary.com Unabridged
================================
Greater contrast, perhaps, but then it loses the point. If I'm reading it rightly, the pin prick is not meant to be therapeutic as acupuncture. It's a feeble attempt to injure.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes Scrabulista, I was going to make the same point. This isn't a pun. A pun is one word with two meanings. "Acupuncture" is a manufactured word to mean curing by pin prick. Acu punctum, acupuncture, same thing. On the other hand there's a pun in my first sentence (not a very good one).