Duality gold-bearing

nightcr4wl3r

Hello Latin Discussion Forum!

dualitas aurifer

How do I have to decline to give it the meaning "Duality gold-bearing" / "Duality [is] gold-bearing"
or that when reading it also secondarily means: "Gold-bearing of duality" / "Duality contains gold"
Thank you for your help!

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "duality" and "gold-bearing"?

nightcr4wl3r

Hi Callaina, thanks,
‘Duality’ as in: dual thinking - in judgement and understanding of things in life, being pulled back and forth between two extremes.
As a result of this dualistic thinking, switching between ‘black and white’, a golden mean would be achieved, a balanced point of view, also including the edges of the spectrum (of an opinion, a philosophic point of view etc.)
What I want to say is this duality will eventually lead to the golden mean, why it is ‘gold-bearing’ or how ‚duality contains gold’. I would like to use those two word stems ‘dualitas’ and ‘aurifer’ only. What is the difference in meaning between dualitatis auriferae and dualitas aurifera in this case? And what would be the most precise declension to describe the above?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Dualitas exists, but is extremely rare (only one citation in L&S). I'm not sure there's a better option, though.

If you want to say "duality is gold-bearing", you need the feminine form of aurifer (since dualitas is feminine): aurifera. To avoid ambiguity you also need est, but at a pinch you can leave that out, since est is often implied.

So: Dualitas aurifera (est) is grammatically correct. Whether or not people will understand the intended meaning is another question.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

or that when reading it also secondarily means: "Gold-bearing of duality" / "Duality contains gold"

This isn't really possible, I'm afraid -- I mean, to get that secondary meaning out of dualitas aurifera (est).

nightcr4wl3r

Thank you very much! You explained well and I’m glad to have your confirmation on what comes closest to the intended meaning. Motivates me to improve my Latin drastically ;) The secondary meaning is less of a problem, since it is all interpretation anyway, even in ‘modern languages’.
Greetings from Berlin!

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

You're welcome!