Jabberwocky

Which version do you like better?

• The anonymous version

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
E

Etaoin Shrdlu

If you're considering Greek versions, and you weren't, Ronald Knox deserves a mention. If only for translating 'the vorpal blade went snicker-snack' into ἔσνιξεν, ἐξέσναξεν εὐκόπνῳ ξίφει.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Difficult as this sort of thing must be, in its own way, to translate (or "translate"), it probably helps that one can pick vowel quantities for half the words more or less at will. ;)

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Resurrecting, because I was thinking about translations of this poem in general, and for the first time I actually looked at Callaina 's link. A bit puzzled by the second one (& Hassard is a great name), because it appears to be in elegiac couplets, but I can't get the first line to scan without adding a syllable, unless I've got something wrong. Also, there are people who may not have been around at the time of the surprisingly (I'd have thought) short-lived thread, like Bitmap, who may know versions in their own language or have opinions on the subject in general.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Yes, it seemed weird to me as well.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

A word that would give me trouble to pronounce, for sure :p (words with many long vowels are the worst...).