The aforesaid

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

That could be a good translation. Predictus is a medieval spelling; the classical Latin would be praedictus. However, it could depend on context.

It's always a good idea to provide some context in a request like this.

stdape

yes its a Latin Document, as my Latin is poor trying to translate is tough :)

"custodi ac tunc scolares eiusdem collegii et predict'[us] Thomas Millen "
part of the context.
I thinks say : "The Warden and Scholars of the same College and the aforementioned Thomas Millen "

Document is 1390 i gather that's classical Latin?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"custodi ac tunc scolares eiusdem collegii et predict'[us] Thomas Millen "
part of the context.
I thinks say : "The Warden and Scholars of the same College and the aforementioned Thomas Millen "
Predictus is "the aforementioned", yes. However, custodi doesn't seem to fit in grammatically. Either it's a misreading or it could be explained by the rest of the sentence that you haven't quoted.
Document is 1390 i gather that's classical Latin?
No, that's medieval Latin. Classical Latin was some 1450 years earlier.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yeah, that's not a hand I can easily read, but I'm pretty sure that particular word is custos.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Scolares might not be "scholars". It could be students or so, but I've no idea of the context here.

stdape

Thankyou, you have been of great assistance. Trying to get the meaning of the Document, it is quite long. I know its a document handing of land(s) to the College he built (William de Wykeham) in Oxford, UK about 1390 , a few names i need to thin out who and what they done. it was handing the Parish of Kingham in Oxfordshire, to the College including the Water Mill, which i am researching.
At least you have helped me sort some of the context, again thankyou

Big Horn

Supra dict-. Add the appropriate suffix.

Likely Ablative Absolute: nihilominus supra dicto (the aforesaid notwithstanding).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Supra dict-. Add the appropriate suffix.
That's another way of saying "the aforesaid", yes. However, as it turned out, stdape wasn't really seeking to translate "the aforesaid" into Latin, but rather to check that his translation of predictus to "the aforesaid" was right (which it was).
Likely Ablative Absolute: nihilominus supra dicto (the aforesaid notwithstanding).
That doesn't seem to make sense. Nihilominus means "nevertheless".

"The aforesaid notwithstanding" could translate (in medieval Latin) to non obstante supra dicto.

stdape

Thanks all, would like to add i think it is Scholars, as other documents in Olde English say Scholars. I can not get my head around languages, lack of a brain cell somewhere :) But just trying to make sense of what the Document is about, i know its to do with the Parish of Kingham,
and some names mentioned and of course the Mill, which i am researching. But its fun trying, and even if i can get a General understanding of Latin, it will help me Transcribe better.

Big Horn

That's another way of saying "the aforesaid", yes. However, as it turned out, stdape wasn't really seeking to translate "the aforesaid" into Latin, but rather to check that his translation of predictus to "the aforesaid" was right (which it was).

That doesn't seem to make sense. Nihilominus means "nevertheless".

"The aforesaid notwithstanding" could translate (in medieval Latin) to non obstante supra dicto.

Big Horn

Nevertheless and notwithstanding are synonyms. Check nihilominus in L&S, OLD, or Niermeyer. Check OED II if you're still uncovinced.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Nevertheless and notwithstanding are synonyms. Check nihilominus in L&S, OLD, or Niermeyer. Check OED II if you're still uncovinced.
They are synonyms as adverbs, as in "This poem has flaws. Notwithstanding/nevertheless, I like it". You could use nihilominus here.

However, "notwithstanding" can also be a preposition (originally a participle in an absolute construction) while "nevertheless" can't. As in "Notwithstanding its flaws/its flaws notwithstanding, I like this poem". That was the way you were using it in "the aforesaid notwithstanding".
You can't use nihilominus here.

Big Horn

They are synonyms as adverbs, as in "This poem has flaws. Notwithstanding/nevertheless, I like it". You could use nihilominus here.

However, "notwithstanding" can also be a preposition (originally a participle in an absolute construction) while "nevertheless" can't. As in "Notwithstanding its flaws/its flaws notwithstanding, I like this poem". That was the way you were using it in "the aforesaid notwithstanding".
You can't use nihilominus here.
Are you sure inasmuch as OLD calls it an ablative? It's adverbial but not an adverb.

I wish that Cicero were still alive—and that I had his phone number. Priscian would be satisfactory as well.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Nihilo is an ablative (the ablative of nihilum) and minus is an adverb. The two together form an adverbial phrase meaning literally "less by nothing", i.e. "nonetheless/nevertheless/etc."

Big Horn

Thanks all, would like to add i think it is Scholars, as other documents in Olde English say Scholars. I can not get my head around languages, lack of a brain cell somewhere :) But just trying to make sense of what the Document is about, i know its to do with the Parish of Kingham,
and some names mentioned and of course the Mill, which i am researching. But its fun trying, and even if i can get a General understanding of Latin, it will help me Transcribe better.

Big Horn

It all begins with Golden Age Latin whether your name is Cicero, Tolkien, Whitney, or even Newton.