ὁ δὲ γίγας πρῶτον μὲν τὰ μῆλα εἰς τὸ ἄντρον εἰσελαύνει,

SpeedPocok5

This sentence, how can i translate it? the only problem i find it's the word "proton".

Iáson

Hemo Rusticus

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It means "first" (here used as an adverb). So, "The giant first drives the sheep..."

SpeedPocok5

It means "first" (here used as an adverb). So, "The giant first drives the sheep..."

Thank you very much! but, isn't it a flock of sheep?

another question:
,ἑπεὶ δὲ πάντα ἔνδον ἐστίν, (this is the continuation)

here "panta" is another word that makes me hesitate, how could i translate it in the sentence?

and why panta is Direct object if there is the verb eimi here, can't panta be an adverb?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

but, isn't it a flock of sheep?
It is. τὰ μῆλα is plural, so it's "the sheep" in the plural. The English word "sheep" stays the same in the plural as in the singular. It doesn't take the usual -s plural ending.
another question:
,ἑπεὶ δὲ πάντα ἔνδον ἐστίν, (this is the continuation)

here "panta" is another word that makes me hesitate, how could i translate it in the sentence?

and why panta is Direct object if there is the verb eimi here, can't panta be an adverb?
πάντα means "all", referring to the sheep. You can see it's in the same gender as number as τὰ μῆλα.

πάντα is neither a direct object nor an adverb. It's an adjective refering to the subject of ἐστίν, which is an implied "they".

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Note that in Greek, neuter plural nouns still take a singular verb. So even though ἐστίν is singular, the subject is plural.