ὅν ποτέ μιν δέδαε φρεσὶ πότνια Κίρκη

Abcdef

αὐτὰρ ἐπεὶ τό γ᾿ ἄκουσε πολύτλας δῖος Ὀδυσσεύς,αὐτίκ᾿ ἐπήρτυε πῶμα, θοῶς δ᾿ ἐπὶ δεσμὸν ἴηλενποικίλον, ὅν ποτέ μιν δέδαε φρεσὶ πότνια Κίρκη· (Od 8.446-8)

I have translated the above as 'then, when long-suffering divine Odysseus heard this, he immediately fit on the [chest's] lid and quickly tied an intricate knot upon it, one which queenly Circe once taught him in his mind'.
But I do not understand the meaning of 'in his mind' ('φρεσὶ') here and was wondering if anyone could help?

Thanks!

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

But I do not understand the meaning of 'in his mind' ('φρεσὶ') here and was wondering if anyone could help?
You learn something with your mind and retain the memory of it there, or forget it, as the case may be. Clearly Odysseus has remembered how to do it.

I assume the question in your last thread was answered satisfactorily; it's hard to tell in cases where people respond with silence.

Abcdef

You learn something with your mind and retain the memory of it there, or forget it, as the case may be. Clearly Odysseus has remembered how to do it.

I assume the question in your last thread was answered satisfactorily; it's hard to tell in cases where people respond with silence.
Thank you Aurifex. So it's emphasising the fact that Circe's teaching was successful, i.e. Odysseus has retained memory of it? I was considering could it alternatively point to the contrast between Odysseus previously learning the knot 'in his mind' i.e. without putting it into practice, and now, where he is actually tying the knot i.e. putting the theory to practice, or is that stretching it a bit?
Sincere apologies for that, it was indeed, I read whilst out and then completely forgot about it. Thanks again though.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Thank you Aurifex. So it's emphasising the fact that Circe's teaching was successful, i.e. Odysseus has retained memory of it? I was considering could it alternatively point to the contrast between Odysseus previously learning the knot 'in his mind' i.e. without putting it into practice, and now, where he is actually tying the knot i.e. putting the theory to practice, or is that stretching it a bit?
It's astute of you to see a contrast between theory and practice here. I think we have grounds for saying that the Greek, in its succinctness, can be interpreted in both of the ways you mention simultaneously.