Inspirational “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

... this one not so much invented as drawn from another language: hence 'calque'.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Isn't every translation a calque, then? I agree that some idioms don't make sense when translated word-for-word and that it's something to be avoided (you're not going to translate "it's raining cats and dogs" as pluit feles et canes), but metaphors are still something a bit different... sometimes when they're very bold they shock me, but this one doesn't (I think the idea behind it might have been understood by a Roman. The past, among other things, contains things you've done, and the future contains things you're going to do - in any language I think). But well... I can understand your hesitation.

Albertus

I think that the quote is this: ''There is no Saint without a past, no sinner without a future.'' I searched for the supposed original Latin of Saint Augustine, but couId not find it. So I would translate the saying thus: ''Nullus Sanctus sine praeterito, nec peccator sine futuro.'' It is a rather direct translation from English back into understandable church Latin. I hope that this helps!

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

No, that doesn't work.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Giving up on the clever English wordplay and going for the content, I suggest this:

est cuique sancto paenitendi et cuique peccatori sperandi causa.

There is for each saint (a reason for) repenting, and for each sinner a reason for hoping.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Your use of cuique seems a tad unusual. I would say omni instead.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Your use of cuique seems a tad unusual. I would say omni instead.
Okay, that is a good topic for further research. Perhaps a better solution is

omni homini sancto, praeterita paenitenda
et omni homini peccatori, futura speranda.

There is for every person who is holy, a past to be repented of
and for every person who is a sinner, a future to be hoped for.