“Vengeance is hereby mine”

hpvillaca

Hello friends,

I have come across this sentence in a video game, it was scratched on the barrel of a gun.

I would like to engrave on my gun the latin translation of that.

The guidelines shows that I must specify my gender for proper translation, so I am male.

I apologize for any misspelling, english is not my native language.

Thank you friends, cheers.

Heitor

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Maybe "*Nunc vindicta est mea".

*How would we say "hereby"?

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
vengeance is mine is a biblical quote
mihi vindictam ego retribuam dicit Dominus
so maybe:
ex hoc mihi vindicata est

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Dative does sound better here.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
No it doesn't. Not with est.

Mihi vindictam ego retribuam is a rather different construction, where mihi is the indirect object of retribuam.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Oh. In that case, I guess I'd just go with Mihi vindictam ego retribuam.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
If the OP isn't afraid to commit sacrilege by appropriating God's words to put them, in his own name, on a firearm. ;)

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
He wouldn't mind, He's a fighter at heart.

scrabulista

Consul
Staff member
vengeance is mine is a biblical quote
That was Romans 12:19

Deuteronomy 32:35 (translated as "vengeance is mine" in NKJV and some other modern translations): mea est ultio

Psalm 94:1 - KJV has ... O God, to whom vengeance belongeth, shew thyself: ...Deus ultionum ostendere, which looks like "God, show vengeance."

Hebrews 10:30 might be an allusion to Romans 12:19 -
For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The LORD will judge His people.” (NKJV)
scimus enim qui dixit mihi vindictam ego reddam et iterum quia iudicabit Dominus populum suum

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Psalm 94:1 - KJV has ... O God, to whom vengeance belongeth, shew thyself: ...Deus ultionum ostendere, which looks like "God, show vengeance."
No, ultionum is genitive plural (Deus ultionum = literally "God of vengeances") and ostendere is a passive imperative in middle sense ("be shown" = "show thyself"). "Show vengeance" using the same vocab would be ultionem ostende.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris
Vulgate Ps. 93:1

Deus ultionum Dominus; Deus ultionum libere egit.

Douai-Rheims Psalm 93:1

The Lord is the God to whom revenge belongeth: the God of revenge hath acted freely.