“You’re wrong, and here’s why.”

BreakerOfHorses

Hello.

My name is John, from South Jersey, USA. I was looking for help translating a phrase properly (as opposed to dog Latin / machine translations). I also thought this forum might be useful as my daughter is taking Latin next Fall and I want to re-learn (I have not had a class in Latin since 1984).

In any case, I will not waste your valuable time. I’m looking for a translation of the phrase “You’re wrong, and here’s why.” It is an inside family joke that I would like to have translated properly so we can make up t-shirts for a family reunion. In keeping with the posting rules I will NOT post the Google translation I found.

Thank you for your consideration and sharing your expertise.

John

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Hi,

I'd say: Tu falsus/falsa* es, et ecce rationem: (Literally) You're wrong, and here's the reason:

*Use falsus if addressing a male, falsa if addressing a female. If you want to address multiple people, the first part would be Tu Vos falsi estis.

BreakerOfHorses

Wow! That was fast!

Thank you!

Should I sit back and wait to see if others contribute? It mentioned something about waiting for a discussion to ensue in the "READ THIS FIRST" post.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Should I sit back and wait to see if others contribute? It mentioned something about waiting for a discussion to ensue in the "READ THIS FIRST" post.
Absolutely wait for confirmations or revisions. Sometimes the simplest phrases wind up becoming incredibly convoluted...

You mean (vos) falsi estis.
See? ;) Stupid typo...

D

Deleted member 13757

falsus es

te fallit or falleris

falsus es = you are a wrong one, you are a liar, you are a fake one

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

You should really stop doing that. It is never clear what and most importantly why are you confirming something.
This was answered in the sub rosa thread you made a while back. Confirming is just a means of (re)assuring the OP that a proposed translation is correct.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

D

Deleted member 13757

I don't see why falsus, past participle of falli, isn't as equally correct as falleris.

If you were speaking in the past narrative tense, then yes. But there is no need to do that here, and the verb does not have a perfect present feel to be used as such.
Plus, the adjective falsus, a, um = fake, is too strong.

A latin way to express this is in the present tense. With 3d impers: te fallit,
or a passive impers. falleris. Remember this phrase for the next time: "ni fallor".

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I suppose that makes sense, and yes, I've written ni(si) fallor before, but never ni falsus... Falleris seems to make much more sense than falsus es in retrospect.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I think the most recently "proposed" translation is: Tu falleris, et ecce rationem, but there might be more to discuss.