1990s

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I went by feeling.

(Back then, I didn't know how to play chess, yet)

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
I have many fond memories of the 1990s.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Do you remember your previous life? That's cool!

Adrian

Civis Illustris
1991 - end of USSR / CCCP
August 1991 - unsuccesfull Gennady Yanayev's (the guy in the middle) coup (to oeverthron Gorbatschev)- Russian people walk out, raise barricades and obstruct military activities.

28 septemper 19991 - Monsters of Rock, liberty concernt on moscow airport, among the bands are Metallica and AC/DC

25 december 1991 Gorbatchev resigned,

26 december 1991 - Sovet flag goes down Soviet Union is no more

Russian armies stationed in Satellite countries till 1993 - Poland; 1994 - Germany.
almost 30 years have passed, but most of the unwilling participants of USSR / Warsaw Pack still suffer negative effects of friendship with the Big Brother from the East and his system of social justice...

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Man, I remember my folks rented Princess Mononoke for me 'n my brother around when it first made its DVD debut at the local Movie Gallery (which went bankrupt in 2010), I musta been around 8. They turned it off after seeing the corrupt boar-god lie slain in a puddle of sizzling goo, having cursed the prince to 'suffer as I have suffered'.

Needless to say, I was hugely disappointed. One of the top 20 animes ever made.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I've heard of both of those, really should get around to watching.

As far as anime movies go, my tops are: Innocence, which is considered the second Ghost in the Shell movie. As some folks here may know, GitS was a huuuuge deal in anime (and manga), which contributed a great deal to the aesthetic of The Matrix, already mentioned here a couple posts up. Also Spirited Away, which to my mind is Miyazaki's magnum opus.

I'm very sensitive to the voice cast (*usually when I hear it dubbed first), so much so that, even if the rest of the anime is total crap (plot, writing, style, etc.), I'll enjoy it nevertheless.

The absolute best English voice cast ever featured in an anime is that of FLCL, which blows heavy-hitters like Cowboy Bebop out of the water (of course, a fair few voices appear in both).

A friend of mine turned me on to the first Dofus movie (showed me this clip), which though technically a French production, is nevertheless more 'anime' at the heart of it than most of the shit I've seen. Very worthwhile.

*Granted, most run-of-the-mill anime is unwatchable in English & simply must be watched subbed.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Hemo Rusticus
Thanks for info on Innocence, FLCL and Dofus - I will check them out when I have possibility.

Just remembered:
1990 - first volume of Berserk manga was published:)
Berserk_vol01.jpg

1997 - Berserk anime television show was released (Berserk: The Sword-Wind Romance) - not too bad either:)
Some episodes here

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Oh yeah, baby! That's that good-good, as the kids say. Very easily the greatest soundtrack an anime ever had, beside FLCL & Cowboy Bebop.

Listen to that, man. Are you kidding me?!

Adrian

Civis Illustris
and of course 1998 - Cowboy Bebop anime tv series are released:)

enjoy watching:)

Adrian

Civis Illustris
1995 Dangerous Minds ( one of the best Hood movies and youth dramas of 90s; if not of all time)

One of the best rap anthems of 90s (part of Soundtrack)

Adrian

Civis Illustris
1990 - The German reunification (German: Deutsche Wiedervereinigung) DDR is no more , it was incorporated into Bundesrepublik Deutschland
here's a short Documentary on the subject

01.01.1993 - The Dissolution of Czechoslovakia (Czech: Rozdělení Československa, Slovak: Rozdelenie Česko-Slovenska), Czech Republic and Slovakia emerge.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
1992 - The Bodyguard
movieposter.jpg

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
16 July 1990: Kohl and Gorbachev sorting out the German reunification by taking a walk in the woods

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Mauerfall (Fall of the Berlin Wall)

9th November 1989 - the symbol of Cold War and Soviet subjugation begins to collapse.

West_and_East_Germans_at_the_Brandenburg_Gate_in_1989.jpg