1990s

Tironis

Civis Illustris
I did have some limited experience with Trabant. 601... not the fondenst memories iyam
Did you suffer PTSD (Post Trabant Stress Disorder)?

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Aber auch für Dinge, die kaum zu haben waren, wurde Reklame gemacht. Der in Zwickau hergestellte Trabant (26 PS, 100 km/h Spitze) kam als "wendig, schnell, ausdauernd und robust" zu Werbefilm-Ehren. Das Auto mit Duroplast-Aufbau wurde zunehmend auch als zentrales Requisit in Spielfilmen eingesetzt und stand so für das Lebensgefühl der Sechzigerjahre. Für den volkseigenen Luftverpester Wartburg wurde nur im Ausland geworben, meist auf Messen und Ausstellungen. Oft kam dabei die Eisenacher Burg ins Bild – so sollte die 1955 an den Start gegangene Automarke vom Ruhm des Automobilwerks Eisenach profitieren.
Where did you get that text from?

Adrian

Civis Illustris
1990 - England introduces arguably the best civilian cross-country car
LAND ROVER DEFENDER (if I were to live in a country - this would definitely be my No1 pick)

rothbard

Civis Illustris
Staff member
I think I must be going stupid. In the last few days when listening to the German news after hearing the word "Bundesinnenminister" a couple of times I expected him to say "Otto Schily". Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up thinking it's 1999.

rothbard

Civis Illustris
Staff member
I got some semi-decent sleep and came back from the 1990's. I was thinking earlier how the late 90's compared to today. Almost everyone I knew, apart from my immediate family, had access to the internet, at least at work. Also, international phone calls were already very cheap. However I didn't have a mobile phone, and most people I knew in the US only had a pager. There was no Google and no Facebook, but I was already a regular Amazon customer.

1990 - England introduces arguably the best civilian cross-country car
LAND ROVER DEFENDER (if I were to live in a country - this would definitely be my No1 pick)

O' ditto. I've always wanted a blue one. Cost a fair bit to buy even over here. They hold their price.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
I was thinking earlier how the late 90's compared to today. Almost everyone I knew, apart from my immediate family, had access to the internet, at least at work.
I remember the first time I looked at the internet, on a visit to my old university library. I had no idea what to look for, and there were no search engines. I think this was in 1997. I found a rescue site for cats run by monks, I think, in the States. It had some primitive pictures.

In 1998 I started a new job. After a few weeks we all got individual email accounts; previously we had sent things via a common account, though most clients at that time preferred hard copy. For that matter, most of the things we sent to them were only available as hard copy. We were very excited with our new toy and went to send out emails, but then realised that the only people we knew with email addresses were each other. So we emailed colleagues, then toddled maybe 30 feet at the most over to their desks and asked if they'd received anything (often they hadn't, as it wasn't instantaneous). Happy days.