1990s

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Rammstein is undoubtedly the best German band of all time, by a streak, but that's an odd choice to me. Still, you could argue for it.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Amazing how all foreigners seem to love Rammstein.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Rammstein is undoubtedly the best German band of all time, by a streak, but that's an odd choice to me. Still, you could argue for it.
Definitely the most recognised abroad especially in USA (my personal favourites are hands down Guano Apes, Die Fantastischen Vier, The Scorpions;);

Amazing how all foreigners seem to love Rammstein.
Because Rammstein combined heavy 90s riffs with industrial techno music with grotesque BDSM visual artistry.
Anyone who saw their music videos or has been to their concert will understand what I mean.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
1997 - Guano Apes, Open Your Eyes

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Definitely the most recognised abroad especially in USA
Not in the UK, in my experience. I'd go for Kraftwerk.

Because Rammstein combined heavy 90s riffs with industrial techno music with grotesque BDSM visual artistry.
Anyone who saw their music videos or has been to their concert will understand what I mean.
The videos are brilliant -- I'm not a concert type -- but I don't think what I value in Rammstein is what many other foreigners do, especially if they don't know German. If I didn't understand the words, I probably wouldn't take much notice of them.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Not in the UK, in my experience. I'd go for Kraftwerk.
Interesting, I would never expect Kraftwerk to gain popularity in UK.

1996 - Heike Makatsch - Stand by your man (Maennerpension OST)
The cover is good. The film itself was good. Til Schweiger is good actor.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Don't know how popular Kraftwek is, but it's recognised. When I discovered Rammstein around 2012 or so, I thought I was very late to the party, but found that most people hadn't heard of them.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
The name rang a slight bell, so I looked him up. The only thing I recognised was Der Bewegte Mann. I didn't expect much of a comic book -- or is it graphic novel? -- turned into a film, but it was actually funny.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
The name rang a slight bell, so I looked him up. The only thing I recognised was Der Bewegte Mann.
He's pretty well known in Germany, but probably not outside (although he had some Hollywood roles as well).

I didn't expect much of a comic book -- or is it graphic novel? -- turned into a film, but it was actually funny.
It's a comic book.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I must check him out then:)
He drew a lot of gay comics (if not exclusively), but they're quite funny, especially in the context of the late 80s and the 90s. I read the comics "The killer condom" and "To the bones" (I think I bought them at an airport somewhere) and they are quite humorous.

I saw a short interview with him once. He was asked if he had never got into trouble for drawing too much nudity. He replied that people had tried that, but that they had no chance as long as keeps his characters' noses bigger than their penises.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Trois Couleurs: Bleu / Three Colors: Blue (1993)

À mon avis, ce film est l'un des meilleurs films européens des années 90.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2c/Bluevidcov.jpg/220px-Bluevidcov.jpg

La bande originale du film composée par Zbigniew Preisner.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
Believe it or not, I saw that in the GFT way back. I had a friend who was going through a cultural phase at the time, and he dragged me along. I was bored so ......... I didn't need to crap for a month.

Adrian

Civis Illustris
Believe it or not, I saw that in the GFT way back. I had a friend who was going through a cultural phase at the time, and he dragged me along. I was bored so ......... I didn't need to crap for a month.
Chacun à son goût.

Luc Besson - Godfather of french 90s action movies

1990 - La femme Nikita

1994 - Léon