24'lae, 2'lae OR Latin Ordinal Indicators (Birth Record)

SSW

Well, with the holidays I have a bit of spare time, so I'm back at it. This time, it's the birth record of one Johann Sebastian Werner, son of Johann George Werner and Anna Barbara, from 1749 in Germany. I think I've managed to come close, but I was stuck for a good long while on what I now think may be Latin ordinal indicators and an unusual abbreviation for "November."

In the first column (Proles) in the light colored area, it looks like 24'lae. The "a-with-a-swoop-over-it" appears to be utilized in place of the ligature æ, and I think the "lae" may represent the English ordinal indicator "th" -- however, that's just a hunch and not based on anything definitive. I did notice that "mae" occurs as the ordinal indicator above and below the highlighted record.

The second part of that initial date that stumped me was what appeared to be "gbris" but which I later guessed must be "9bris" similar to the more common abbreviation of "9ber" for November. I feel comfortable with that based on the entries before and after the one in interest, which both clearly show "Novemb" abbreviated. That's followed closely by another incidence of what I think is an ordinal indicator representing the hour of the morning for birth -- 2'lae.

Any input on the ordinal indicators? Here's the original, followed by my attempted translation (listed by column):

And my attempt:
Proles
24'lae 9'bris horae 2'lae matut[inae]:
natus et caedem die baptizatus est
Joannes Sebastianus
Parentes
Joannes Georgii Werner
civis Dilsberg et Anna
Barbara conjugum filius
legitimus
Patrini
Levavit Joannes
Sebastianus Ott
civis Dilsberg

Child
24th November, around 2 in the morning
born and the same day baptized
Johann Sebastian
Parents
Johann George Werner
citizen of Dilsberg and Anna
Barbara married legitimate son
Godparents
Baptized by Joannes
Sebastian Ott
citizen of Dilsberg

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Aurifex

Aedilis
Staff member
My attempt:

Proles
24ta 9'bris hora 2'da matut[ini]:
natus et eadem die baptizatus est
Joannes Sebastianus
Parentes
Joannis Georgii Werner
civis Dilsberg et Annae
Barbarae conjugum filius
legitimus
Patrini
Levavit Joannes
Sebastianus Ott
civis Dilsberg

Child
24th November, at 2 in the morning
born and the same day baptized
Johann Sebastian
Parents
legitimate son of spouses Johann George Werner
citizen of Dilsberg and Anna
Barbara
Godparents
Supported/assisted? by Joannes
Sebastian Ott
citizen of Dilsberg

SSW

Thanks for the response, Aurifex. For the sake of educating me a bit, is there a guide somewhere that explains the "why" behind the ordinal indicators you use? Google is less than helpful -- all I can seem to find on Latin ordinals is the use of x^o or the number spelled out.

I'd forgotten the convention for the ligature æ in these records, but you've reminded me that the "a" on the end of Anna with the inward loop serves in this text. With that being the case, what is the significance of the arc over the a in other places?

Aurifex

Aedilis
Staff member
I'm pretty confident that the circumflex accents over the terminal a's are macrons, telling us these are ablatives, which is consistent with the fact that the words refer to the time at which something takes place. If my interpretation is correct, 24'ta stands for vicesimā quartā, 2'da for secundā. The only guide you really need to help you with this is a Latin grammar book and a little intuition.