86 Future Perfect vs Subjunctive

heirtothewind

Si hunc, inquam, tractavero improba manu, et ille non senserit, gallos gallinaceos pugnacissimos duos donabo patienti [Satyricon, ch. 86]

Why is the future perfect and future used here instead of the subjective to express a wish? Note that ''senserit'' is subjunctive.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

This is not a wish, but rather a future condition. The form senserit can be either perfect subjunctive or future perfect, but here it's the latter.

"If I touch him with a dishonest hand", I said, "and he doesn't feel it, I'll offer him two very combative cocks for having shown no resistance."

heirtothewind

This is not a wish, but rather a future condition. The form senserit can be either perfect subjunctive or future perfect, but here it's the latter.

"If I touch him with a dishonest hand", I said, "and he doesn't feel it, I'll offer him two very combative cocks for having shown no resistance."

Therefore, most clauses that begin with si will have this construction: If I shall have done X, then I shall do Y. Correct?
Thank for for sharing your superb mastery of Latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Therefore, most clauses that begin with si will have this construction: If I shall have done X, then I shall do Y. Correct?
There are many other kinds of conditions than future ones. There are past ones, present ones, some with indicative, some with subjunctive... They should all be explained somewhere in your course/textbook/grammar, if you have any of this.
Thank for for sharing your superb mastery of Latin.
You're welcome.