A foregone conclusion?

Carl Nilson

Could anyone please help me answer this question I received from.a friend?
"What is the Latin term for something that's a given in an argument? That you didn't know was a given? Like when a car salesman asks you what color car you prefer, he's assuming that you are buying a car even that though that wasn't in your mind yet."

Issacus Divus

ᛋᚢᚾᚢ ᚱᛖᛟᚱᛞᚲᚤᚾᛁᚾᚷᚨᛋ
You could translate it directly as conclusio inevitabilis maybe.

Carl Nilson

Sine dubitatione.

This might work but I'm not a Latinist so wait for others to respond here.
Thank you, this might be helpful!

The litteral interpretation of of a forgone conclusion is dimittenda conclusio, but I'm not sure sure that that's the phrase my friend has in mind.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I'm not sure if there is a technical term in Latin ... maybe you can make something up like praesumpta conclusio ... e.g. in the example mentioned above, I would write vendor illum praesumpta rogavit conclusione quo colore raedam esse vellet. (which finishes in - x - / - u - x twice btw.)

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Does forgone conclusion mean 'a conclusion that is to be given up'? In your example it sounds like a conclusion that is drawn preemptively.

Carl Nilson

Does forgone conclusion mean 'a conclusion that is to be given up'? In your example it sounds like a conclusion that is drawn preemptively.
I think it refers in this case to a conclusion the seller makes without the consent of the buyer.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
... so it's a conclusion drawn preemptively ...

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Btw., could a mod move this thread?

Bestiola

Speculatrix
Staff member
Yes, I think so. The seller wants to prevent the buyer from even entertaining the thought of not buying a car from him.

Have I posted this question in the wrong place? If so, I apologise.

No worries, it's been taken care of.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
Could anyone please help me answer this question I received from.a friend?
"What is the Latin term for something that's a given in an argument? That you didn't know was a given? Like when a car salesman asks you what color car you prefer, he's assuming that you are buying a car even that though that wasn't in your mind yet."
Since this person is convinced that the Latin term is already out there, & it sounds like basic logic, I'm positive he/she is referring to: petitio principii.

Hemo Rusticus

J. Wellington Wimpy
That is not to say, of course, that he/she has a proper understanding of the term.