A foregone conclusion?

Carl Nilson

Could anyone please help me answer this question I received from.a friend?
"What is the Latin term for something that's a given in an argument? That you didn't know was a given? Like when a car salesman asks you what color car you prefer, he's assuming that you are buying a car even that though that wasn't in your mind yet."

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

You could translate it directly as conclusio inevitabilis maybe.

Carl Nilson

Sine dubitatione.

This might work but I'm not a Latinist so wait for others to respond here.
Thank you, this might be helpful!

The litteral interpretation of of a forgone conclusion is dimittenda conclusio, but I'm not sure sure that that's the phrase my friend has in mind.

B

Bitmap

I'm not sure if there is a technical term in Latin ... maybe you can make something up like praesumpta conclusio ... e.g. in the example mentioned above, I would write vendor illum praesumpta rogavit conclusione quo colore raedam esse vellet. (which finishes in - x - / - u - x twice btw.)

B

Bitmap

Does forgone conclusion mean 'a conclusion that is to be given up'? In your example it sounds like a conclusion that is drawn preemptively.

Carl Nilson

Does forgone conclusion mean 'a conclusion that is to be given up'? In your example it sounds like a conclusion that is drawn preemptively.
I think it refers in this case to a conclusion the seller makes without the consent of the buyer.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Yes, I think so. The seller wants to prevent the buyer from even entertaining the thought of not buying a car from him.

Have I posted this question in the wrong place? If so, I apologise.

No worries, it's been taken care of.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Could anyone please help me answer this question I received from.a friend?
"What is the Latin term for something that's a given in an argument? That you didn't know was a given? Like when a car salesman asks you what color car you prefer, he's assuming that you are buying a car even that though that wasn't in your mind yet."
Since this person is convinced that the Latin term is already out there, & it sounds like basic logic, I'm positive he/she is referring to: petitio principii.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

That is not to say, of course, that he/she has a proper understanding of the term.