A man is king when his wife is queen

A

Anonymous

The other day my husband, being the sweetie that he is, was offering suggestions for a family motto - something we want to have permanently inscribed on the wall in the main family room of our residence. I am at a loss, though, because I never learned Latin. I would appreciate your help. I tried the online translators, but I can't be sure they are correct. :help:

What I am trying to find a good translation of is the following phrase he suggested: "A man is king when his wife is queen." What an online translator I found said is: "A vir est rex rgis ut suus uxor est regina." I would appreciate your help.

(By the way, the username is after our pug Napoleon. He has an emperor complex. The companion we are getting for him will be named Josephine...just a little family fun.) :)

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

As you might've guessed from the fact that "a" was not translated, that doesn't make sense. I'd say that this is a veiled conditional (i.e. it's really "if his wife is queen" not "when his wife is queen", if you think about it) and so would say:
vir rex est si uxor sua regina est.

It's unfortunately a little clunky. Latinists, can the first "est" be omitted? That might help.

Wait for other suggestions.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

What about a modification of the marriage vow? (Ubi tu Gaius ibi ego Gaia)

ubi tu regina ibi ego rex

Where you are queen, there I am king

A

Anonymous

Cinefactus dixit:
What about a modification of the marriage vow? (Ubi tu Gaius ibi ego Gaia)

ubi tu regina ibi ego rex

Where you are queen, there I am king
I really like this one. It's shorter as well, and the idea of something related to the traditional marriage vow is very romantic. Thank you!