Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Fulmen validissimum est in meum iussum

Please wait for others to reply first

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Hm.... it doesn't look right.

I'll keep this tab open and get back to this when I can.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Hmm... Iohannes's translation is fine except for "in meum iussum" - it's in the wrong case. However, I'm not even sure that in meo iusso is a good way of saying this...

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Even if I used the correct case, then it would still not be correct ...

The problem is now how to say "at my command" (I thought that I used the correct case; I was typing too fast and meant to use the ablative instead of the accusative.)

Using the second line of "O Canada" (the national anthem of said country) as an example ("True patriot love in all thy sons command"), the Latin would be Imperias veram amorem patriae in filiis tuis. I think that the correct translation for "in my command" would be In meis imperiis. Please wait for others to reply first

paulmoore

Also, I just wanna throw one thing out there. I am VERY flexible in the wording of the spell incantations/phrases. Do not feel that you need to be bound to the literal translation of "A mighty bolt of lightning is at my command", it just needs to have a mention of the force of lightning and that it is coming from him/his body. In my book there will be 2 times that this spell will be used, 1 is to kill the king, and the second is to defend against a ground attack from a dragon. I will use the same translation twice, so I won't have to describe the effects a second time, and the readers will already know what's coming by the wording. Some shorter ideas that came to mind are...
A bolt of lightning/lightning bolt?
OR
Something along the lines of 'electrical storm'?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I'm not sure that Latin expresses a "bolt of" lightning - I think it's always just fulmen alone.

I haven't read any actual literature discussing lightning, though.

paulmoore

Hey all, I am back after a short hiatus. I was in Ft. Lauderdale, FL for some technical training (I work for Lexus as an automotive technician) Anyways, I have started up again on my story, and I am trying to write the outline for the chapter that will detail the assualt on the castle. I was wondering to see what the general concensus was on the final translation. I know that there was an issue with not being able to use the term 'a bolt of' when it came to the lightning. Would it be easier to use something like..

Forces of lightning, I command thee!

I am not trying to be a pain, just curious is all! Thanks for all the great help so far, you guys(and gals) are awesome!

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

This is just a heads-up - I'll give this a shot tonight.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Hmmm... "forces of lightning"... I'll consider that to mean the might of lighting, since the only other way I can think of it is "armies of lightning".

Perhaps - Vis fulminis, te impero!

paulmoore

Yes, I did mean the word 'forces' as a reference to its power. Once again, I am flexible in other wordings so if something fits better for you by all means post it up, however,
Vortice igneo cingar (let me be surrounded by a fiery vortex)
I kinda like the sound of this one and might use that. Shall I wait for another to confirm?

paulmoore

Wow, disreguard the last quotation in my previous post, I have no idea how that even got in there! I apologize for any confusion that it may have caused. What I meant was that I liked the sound of this...
Vis fulminis, te impero!
Is this one good to go or should I wait for confirmation?