A Storm Is Brewing

scw2u

I'm starting a soccer club in the West Indies named the Hurricanes. I would like to include a Latin Phrase in the Logo and "A Storm is Brewing" is current the top choice. For context, Storm obviously ties to hurricane, but the idea is that we're also starting something new on the island to hopefully bring change/development...so it's more than just a physical storm that is brewing.

The second-place phrase is "Rock You Like A Hurricane". Not exactly appropriate for a youth soccer team if you're familiar with the song, but a Latin translation may help avoid the song associate and copyright infringement!

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 16.47.24.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 16.47.24.png

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Hi,

For "a storm is brewing", I'd suggest: tempestas surgit. Tempestas not only means "storm" in the sense of a physical storm, but it can also mean a period of time or season. It seems like this dual meaning is what you're shooting for here.

For "rock you like a hurricane", I'd have to know what exactly you want this to mean, specifically the "rock you" part. I suspect you don't want the meaning as it's used in the song. ;)

BTW, I referee youth soccer here in the US, so it's cool to see other people involved with soccer.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

In terms of "Rock you like a hurricane," it would be more, "Descend upon you with great wrath and horrible fury...as would a hurricane" than what the Scorpions suggest.
OK, then for the moment, I'd say Velut procellae vos opprimemus, which translates to "We will fall upon/oppress you (all) like a hurricane". I'm not 100% on this one, though, so wait for others to come by and comment before using it.

And thanks for the soccer shout out. We just finished our second annual youth tournament on the island!
Neat!

Others, what do you think of opprimere here?

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Possibilities to consider:

Subit (jam) tempestas.

= A storm is brewing (now).

Subire suggests more of a secret (likely sinister) approach than an "arising.": = to approach secretly, to steal upon or into." The sub- suggests coming up from below. It is not literally what you have, but it captures something of its feeling.

Vos labefactabimus sicut turbo.

= We will rock you like a hurricane.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Logo design is very cool but perhaps an English motto would be more fitting with that modern style.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I agree. Maybe they should keep the tempestas surgit phrase and have it somewhere, like lining the hurricane or ball, but keep “Rock you like a hurricane” in Englis. Or maybe just with tempestas surgit.