Abhinc vs. Ab Hinc

Alli46664

Hello, I'm at the very very beginning of my journey with Latin and was curious about these two incarnations of abhinc. I'm assuming that abhinc as one joined word is for use within a phrase... like "this event was (this many years) ago" - abhinc being more or less the "ago" portion.

If that is the case... then is Ab Hinc the literal phrase "from here on" or is this a common misrepresentation? I quite like the idea, cheesy as it is, of the phrase Ab Hinc but would hate to misuse it if its true use is only as an adverb relating to time.

I honestly don't know if this query makes sense! But I'm genuinely curious and eager to hear what you all have to say. Thank you ahead of time for your patience - it is much appreciated.

Additionally: If anyone has any recommendations, advice, or resources for someone attempting to teach themselves Latin, I'd be very grateful.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

It's true that abhinc is used only as an adverb relating to time, but its derivation from ab and hinc is also clear enough. It relates almost exclusively to the past, however, so the meaning is 'back from here' in the sense of 'since the present time', hence 'ago', and not typically 'from here on' or 'henceforth', though that rare future meaning does exist in the ante-classical period.

Hinc just by itself is enough to translate 'from here' in the normal directional sense, and it's only combined with ab to form this particular adverb of time.