Accent Marks?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Probably I could teach you how to edit XKB layouts, but if you do it cleanly, the changes are not seen by keyboard switchers. And XKB is a pain. And I'm not even sure you're on Linux. :)

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I would suggest you get into the habit of marking macrons, or at least learning which vowels are long. Otherwise later on you will find poetry (and speaking) difficult.
Speaking? I don't really think the vast majority cares that much about speaking, let alone speaking with correct vowel lenghts. In that regard normal accents may be much more useful to know.

NóttShade

That's an option, but not what I had in mind.

In vim, it's problematic to use system keyboard layouts. If the same character is associated with different keys in different layouts, the behaviour of vim will depend on the layout and this can't be fixed by means of remappings. Vim doesn't take key codes into account.

Keymaps are an internal mechanism emulating keyboard layouts. They don't effect the normal mode. Keymaps are defined in files like this:
Code:
scriptencoding utf-8

let b:keymap_name = "æâ"

loadkeymap

[ æ
{ Æ
] â
} Â
k q
K Q
q k
Q K
Here I remap brackets and braces to æ and â and swap k and q. (I always swap these letters for Romance languages.) If this keymap is saved as ~/.vim/keymaps/la.vim, it can be loaded by :set kmp=la and toggled by C-^. The bindings are only used for inserting the text, normal mode bindings remain intact and so do insert mode bindings with modifiers (e. g. C-[ works as before).

It's simple, so it's easy to be creative.

In Emacs the idea is more or less the same.
Thank you for that! This will make it easy. I was writing everything by hand, so I can move away from that now :)

NóttShade

Speaking? I don't really think the vast majority cares that much about speaking, let alone speaking with correct vowel lenghts. In that regard normal accents may be much more useful to know.
Oddly enough, I actually want to speak it... No one in my life knows Latin, so I guess I'll be talking to myself ha, but it does help me to memorize and learn better if I sound things out. Maybe I'll eventually find a little Latin group to speak it with online. I would say in my area, but chances are low on that...

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I thought that if you were on Windows, AutoHotkey might be the easiest option. Here is an example script: THREAD: macrons-how-to-write-them Hopefully, it still works. You install AutoHotkey, save the script as e. g. lat.ahk, and launch the script by a double click. The lines of the script define replacements: while it is running, a-slash is turned into ā, etc. That particular script can be paused by Win+Esc. The icon appears in the tray, it can be used to stop the script.

NóttShade

I thought that if you were on Windows, AutoHotkey might be the easiest option. Here is an example script: THREAD: macrons-how-to-write-them Hopefully, it still works. You install AutoHotkey, save the script as e. g. lat.ahk, and launch the script by a double click. The lines of the script define replacements: while it is running, a-slash is turned into ā, etc. That particular script can be paused by Win+Esc. The icon appears in the tray, it can be used to stop the script.
Thank you! This is very helpful. I clicked on the link and dowloaded it, but it said "App not available." Maybe I need to install AutoHotKey first. I will work on this tonight.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Probably that file, Latina.rar, is bitrotten, it's nine years old. Yes, AutoHotkey is installed separately: https://www.autohotkey.com/ It's the engine. You can create the file lat.ahk in the Notepad and paste all the replacements into it, i. e. :*?C:a/::ā etc. I guess, after that you'll be able to run the file by a double click. A green icon with H should appear in the tray.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Oddly enough, I actually want to speak it... No one in my life knows Latin, so I guess I'll be talking to myself ha, but it does help me to memorize and learn better if I sound things out. Maybe I'll eventually find a little Latin group to speak it with online. I would say in my area, but chances are low on that...
There are quite a few Latin Podcasts now. There is also an online Latin speaking group which convenes twice weekly in the US.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. The last pair only occurs in borrowings, so I separated them. Off the top of my head, I can think of only one word with ȳ: būtȳrum "butter'; in oryza "rice" it's short: [oryzza].
I also know of mȳthos (greek borrowing) but otherwise I can't think of any.

NóttShade

Probably that file, Latina.rar, is bitrotten, it's nine years old. Yes, AutoHotkey is installed separately: https://www.autohotkey.com/ It's the engine. You can create the file lat.ahk in the Notepad and paste all the replacements into it, i. e. :*?C:a/::ā etc. I guess, after that you'll be able to run the file by a double click. A green icon with H should appear in the tray.
Thank you very much! That makes sense.

Jiacheng Liu

Thank you very much! That makes sense.
Which version of Windows do you run? I just add the keyboard layout for Māori, and I can type macrons in Windows 10. Press the key on the left on your number 1 key (in an English keyboard, it’s likely to be the tilde key) and then just type the vowel you want. Then a vowel with a macro would appear. It functions in the same way as the accents on Spanish keyboard. I’m sure that you can have one for Windows 7 as well.

NóttShade

Which version of Windows do you run? I just add the keyboard layout for Māori, and I can type macrons in Windows 10. Press the key on the left on your number 1 key (in an English keyboard, it’s likely to be the tilde key) and then just type the vowel you want. Then a vowel with a macro would appear. It functions in the same way as the accents on Spanish keyboard. I’m sure that you can have one for Windows 7 as well.
A delayed thank you! I have a mac, but I figured out how to do this on a mac: https://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~tetaka/PDF/Macron Vowels on a Mac 10.6-7.pdf
Very easy to follow the steps and easier still to actually make a macron (hold the option key and press the vowel).

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I just use the ABC Extended keyboard.