Inspirational Accept what is necessary, enjoy what is possible, burn for the impossible

Sven

Here's my layman's attempt to make that into catchy latin phrases:

Quae necessaria accipere
What is necessary, accept it

Quod possibile fruī
What is possible, enjoy it

Quod impossibile ārdēre
What is impossible, burn for it

Any help is appreciated!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

That isn't quite correct.

I would offer two options, one that's more concise but less classical, and one less concise but more classical. By classical I mean the sort of Latin that might have been used around Cicero's time. The "less classical" option uses words that didn't occur until a couple of centuries later.

Necessaria patere, possibilibus fruere, in impossibilia arde.

Quae necesse est fieri, ea patere; quae possunt fieri, iis fruere; quae non possunt fieri, in ea arde.

Sven

Thanks a lot, Pacifica! Especially for choosing "patere" over"accipere", I think it fits better as well.

Can you provide me also the literal translation of the mor classical version, please?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Can you provide me also the literal translation of the mor classical version, please?
"The things that must be done/happen, accept them; the things that can be done/happen, enjoy them; the things that cannot be done/happen, burn for them."
That looks quite Ciceronian indeed :eek:
Ah, really? :)

B

Bitmap

Ah, really? :)

I tried to imagine for a second how your arrived at that translation. Obviously, I can't really be sure, but there are some interesting thoughts you might have somehow gone through.

- obviously the "less classical" translation you provided worked as well ... maybe, I underestimate it a bit, but it sounds like a tiny bit obvious when translating from English to Latin (which, I'm sure, didn't escape you, either) [or maybe, just like me, you dislike some of those very-many-syllables words]
- so you went for classical prose as an alternative, but realised how all (or actually just some?) of those things would have to be expressed in relative clauses, which might make a large part of the translation bulky
- you solved the problem of things sounding bulky by creating a tri-coloned parallelism both in the relative clause (quae <...> fieri) as well as in the main clause (form of is + imperative)
- the in in the last clause seems to break that symmetry a bit, as does the sudden use of an active imperative ... but for some reason (at least to me), it sounds like a welcome change. You also go from 2 imperatives that consist of 3 short syllables to a sudden imperative that consist of 2 long syllables (it all feels like you suddently want to underline the punchline a bit, like the heroic couplet in a sonnet).
- I was wondering if the end also lived up to a Ciceronian clausula, but I'm not a great expert on that actually ... I still haven't really *truly* found whether 2 shorts are, even there, allowed to make up for a length (beyond my personal interest, I never had any reason to find out about that either)... but I noticed that he used things like esse videatur relatively often. If you allow for a hiat between fieri and in, as the nature of your preceding words would actually suggest you could do, then your line would finish in the same way.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I didn't think about syllables or clausulae.

However, I did change necessaria, which, per se, worked well in classical Latin, into a relative clause to make the first part more parallel with the two other parts which couldn't be expressed in classical Latin otherwise than with relative clauses.