Accipio

jerimiah_86

I'm wanting to use accipio as part of a branding concept, but I want to verify that it means something that I think it does :)

accipio: take, grasp, receive, accept, undertake; admit, let in, hear, learn; obey

So if I want to use it in the sense of learning, is this a good or acceptable choice?

Thank you!

B

Bitmap

Accipere can mean "to learn" in the sense of "to hear about something / to get to know something", but not in the sense of learning something at school / being taught something. That would be disco

jerimiah_86

I'm developing a language application that periodically feeds the user new words, so I think that Accipio or Accipere could work, but what is the difference between the two if any?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm not sure about accipere, but I think that tenere is quite appropriate. Recently I've come across the following sentence of St. Augustin (Confessions):

... sed ego ipse, cum appellabant rem aliquam... tenebam hoc ab eis vocari rem illam quod sonabant, cum eam vellent ostendere.

But I myself, when they named a thing... retained (in the mind) it to be called by what they used to utter when they wanted to show it.
jerimiah, what form of verb you'd like to have?

jerimiah_86

I'm looking for something that goes with "I learn" or "I am learning" (good old english). The application will feed new words at regular intervals, so the idea is that with it you can be constantly learning, talking, speaking...

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Here are a couple of examples:

Linguam Latínam meá sponte discó. I learn Latin by myself.
Núntiís hujus forí legendís aliqua verba Anglica nónnumquam teneó. Reading the posts of this forum, sometimes I learn new English words.
Accépí birotás in taberná proximá vílí véníre. I've learned that cheap bicycles are sold in the nearest shop.

Which word is more precise?

jerimiah_86

Its hard to say, but I don't think disco would be good because people will think of the 70's rather than latin. Tenere sounds like it might be best, as more in the sense of learning and retaining a detail, not like to learn a subject.

So
tenere infinitive
teneó first person singular
?

So does accipio not exist, or what tense is that exactly?

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

jerimiah_86 dixit:
tenere infinitive
teneó first person singular
?

So does accipio not exist, or what tense is that exactly?
In fact, teneo (without acute showing vowel length) may be better for your purposes.

accipio I receive, etc.
tene! accipe! - imperatives.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

On the asked-for difference between accipio and accipere: It seems to me that many of the responses are taking for granted a level of knowledge that some do not possess; we may need some very basic grammar here.

Accipio is the first person singular present indicative active. Narrowly it means "I take" [or "I take in"]. Latin verbs are usually named, and listed in dictionaries, by this form, the first person singular present indicative active. Since in English we generally name our verbs with the present infinitive active, we sometimes say that accipio means "to take". But actually accipere is the present infinitive active-- that is, it actually means "to take", while accipio means "I take".

jerimiah_86

Thank you for that detail, that was a huge help! I know, I don't have much latin as in can recognize the terms and have studied roots in English and German. That answers my questions, and I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me out :)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Are you back for good Iynx, willing to help us?

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Ita, Matthee, Deo volente, though I'm sure I get more help here than I give. But as I tried to say a little above, this was certainly not the first time, and probably will not the last, that Real Life is going to keep me away from the computer for a while.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Real life = vis maior

Chamaeleo

jerimiah_86 dixit:
Its hard to say, but I don't think disco would be good because people will think of the 70's rather than latin. Tenere sounds like it might be best
Teneó” is very restricted, in that if you say it by itself, you've just said “I retain” or “I hold”. “Discó” is generally better because it always means “I learn”.

If you don't like the English words it sounds like (which should not really be a consideration if you are serious, because each language is separate and deserves respect on its own terms), then we just have to say something other than “I learn”. For example, we could say, “Discere, loquí et ambuláre possum” ― “I can learn, speak and walk”. Argh, now you'll tell me that the word for “I can” sounds too much like an animal!

What do you actually need to express, and ought it really to be in Latin?

jerimiah_86

Sorry for the slow response, Easter events took me a way for a little while.

I'm making a program that slowly feeds new words or phrases for various languages, to help people learn these phrases. Its like a phrase a day, except that I'm working on ways that these words can be delivered through social networks.

I also want to be able to find a word that ends in .io, because then I can more easily get a domain name like accip.io. I already have it in fact. Many other words or phrases aren't available with domain names or .com.

I want it to be in Latin because the languages featured have latin roots (at least for now). Sorry for claiming disco sounds funny, but it also is a difficult branding phrase. So I want to express the concept that a person can absorb words from this program and learn, educate, improve, or something similar.

I want to be sure that the title of this program is not an abuse of Latin (I am living abroad trying to learn another language myself at the moment, just not Latin), and that it still reflects the concept above. Again I really appreciate the help, I'm afraid I could only repay in kind with regards to web development!

Chamaeleo

I think that ‘accip.io’ is a suitably vague name for a website. It doesn't unambiguously mean ‘I learn’, but I doubt that it needs to, for your purposes.

jerimiah_86

I'm fine that it doesn't mean specifically I learn, in fact I like that it seems to also take on the meaning of 'i take, i grasp, i take it in' because really thats what the application is doing, allowing you to take in words at a regular interval. In this case does it seem to fit?