-aceae or -aceæ?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I apologize, I found one "medieval" defect in my classical pronunciation (I won't tell you which though :D... I didn't even spotted it the first time), so here another recording.

And also the Italian way (or I hope so :p).
Haha, yes, you pronounced z in the first one... I hadn't noticed!

The whole Kiai and kai endings just don't sound Latin lol.
It's normal, that's because people are generally used to hear "church Latin" - I was myself surprised about the pronunciation of -ae when I started Latin courses - and I thought just like you: "it sounds like Japanese!" :D

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

What a gentle and mild voice... as if a little angel spoke... surely a devilish trick of the prince of darkness himself aimed at weakening my guard and vigilance.
Yes, the DVNGEON KEEPER daemon :devilsmile:

Haha, yes, you pronounced z in the first one... I hadn't noticed!
I'm busted xD
Yeah, that's one of the rules of the medieval pronunciation I use quite more often: intervocalic "s" (but only if there are vowels on both sides or on one side "r" and on the other a vowel) becomes by assimilation of voicing "z".
(The same should, as far as I know, apply also for the eccl. pronunciation)

Alexius

Hm?

How long have you been learning Latin? ;)
Godmy, I never had a class. And now I wish I had =( We studied a lot of vocab and the rules to naming species when I took plant systematics at the university, but nothing major. We pronounce the stuff like in today's English, which makes it sound also strange. Like Phylum... it appears that it is pronounced fee-lom, and so on. The whole kai thing freaked me out =D I thought one c is just c and double cc is k sound in Latin. Guess not =O but tibi maximus gratias ago.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Because the adjective maximas must agree with its noun gratias (in accusative feminine plural - maximus is the nominative masculine singular).

Ps: hope this isn't "Japanese" for you...

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

The pronunciation on that site you have provided, Alexius, is not THAT bad... (maybe not so pleasant), but it mixes a lot the eccl. pronunciation rules and the classical ones (in my opinion) and one is not sure which one he is using, but I've heard far worse :hysteric:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The nominative is the case of the subject (along with any adjective referring to it). Like in Alexius gratias agit (literally "Alexius "acts" thanks"). The accusative is the case of the direct object (along with any adjective referring to it as well, an adjective always agrees with its noun). What does Alexius act? Thanks. So gratias = accusative.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes, the DVNGEON KEEPER deamon :devilsmile:
Hah, I knew it... It was all a mascarade to hide your evil aura Satan!
O Daemon Horride! Non te timeo nam Deus et Dux Exerciti Caelestis mihi favent. Domine, sine me tuum gladium justitiae ac scutum esse; juva me in bello duro contra ducem tenebrarum. O Gloriose Archangele Michael, dona mihi quaeso fortitudinem et virtutem, ut illum vincere possim.

Yeah, that's one of the rules of the medieval pronunciation I use quite more often: intervocalic "s" (but only if there are vowels on both sides or on one side "r" and on the other a vowel) becomes by assimilation of voicing "z".
(The same should, as far as I know, apply also for the eccl. pronunciation)
Here's a nice site about ecclesiastical latin pronunciation: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/ecclesiastical_latin.htm
However IMO Henry Preston Vaughan, An introduction to ecclesiastical Latin is more comprehensive as far as pronunciation is considered

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

O Daemon Horride! Non te timeo nam Deus et Dux Exerciti Caelestis mihi favent. Domine, sine me tuum gladium justitiae ac scutum esse; juva me in bello duro contra ducem tenebrarum. O Gloriose Archangele Michael, dona mihi quaeso fortitudinem et virtutem, ut illum vincere possim.
:hysteric:

Alexius

Salve, Adrian =) it's all Japanese to me =) All we learned was the ending of genus and species has to agree with respect to the genders. Such as Eschcholiza california, which is in the feminine gender, both ending in -a. And same with -us and -ae and -i and -ii for female and male neames, and -ense and -ensis named after places and so on.

I like Latin, but I am thinking of making a Neo-Latin language I guess I would only speak at first =D it's too complicated. Shouldn't be this hard. make the vocab base, and add prefix and suffix and keep them the same for one meaning. So it would use some parts and vocab of Latin, the grammar close to English and have it's won parts. In Latin some plurals end in -i and some in -ae and sum in -um; I mean make up your freakin minds. Just make one suffix that means plural, as we have in English as in adding "s." And English word order and certain articles and propositions are so dumb! Why do we need a, the and to? It'd be a huge project, but would be nice!

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Salve, Adrian =) it's all Japanese to me =) All we learned was the ending of genus and species has to agree with respect to the genders. Such as Eschcholiza california, which is in the feminine gender, both ending in -a. And same with -us and -ae and -i and -ii for female and male neames, and -ense and -ensis named after places and so on.

I like Latin, but I am thinking of making a Neo-Latin language I guess I would only speak at first =D it's too complicated. Shouldn't be this hard. make the vocab base, and add prefix and suffix and keep them the same for one meaning. So it would use some parts and vocab of Latin, the grammar close to English and have it's won parts. In Latin some plurals end in -i and some in -ae and sum in -um; I mean make up your freakin minds. Just make one suffix that means plural, as we have in English as in adding "s." And English word order and certain articles and propositions are so dumb! Why do we need a, the and to? It'd be a huge project, but would be nice!
Acquire Hans Orberg's Lingua Latin Per Se Illustrata Serie. Spend 30 minutes a day on learning latin, be patient and systematical. In 12-14 months you should (assuming you are dilligent and persistant in study) be able to comprehend the language on Pre-Intermediate level.

Alexius

Acquire Hans Orberg's Lingua Latin Per Se Illustrata Serie. Spend 30 minutes a day on learning latin, be patient and systematical. In 12-14 months you should (assuming you are dilligent and persistant in study) be able to comprehend the language on Pre-Intermediate level.

Or I can make my own language =) To put in that much time to learn what others have made, I can make my own thing and be prouder of it =) Not saying Latin is not nice to know, and especially useful, when you're a scientist =)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You wouldn't be the first one to invent a language. Think of Esperanto. And they even invented a whole language for those blue Aliens of the film Avatar, did you know? I was stunned when I heard about it :D. Well, if you invent that language, it'd be called Latinglish I guess.

Alexius

You wouldn't be the first one to invent a language. Think of Esperanto. And they even invented a whole language for those blue Aliens of the film Avatar, did you know? I was stunned when I heard about it :D. Well, if you invent that language, it'd be called Latinglish I guess.

I'll credit you for the name =) And yeah, i didn't know about the making of whole language for the movie. Wow!

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

O Daemon Horride! Non te timeo nam Deus et Dux Exercitús Caelestis mihi favent. Domine, sine me tuum gladium justitiae ac scutum esse; juva me in bello duro contra ducem tenebrarum. O Gloriose Archangele Michael, dona mihi quaeso fortitudinem et virtutem, ut illum vincere possim.
Iam nave mea piratica ad te vehor, neque ullus te iuturu'st :devil-trident:

:pirate-ship:
Frustra Deum precaris, o miser* mortalis!​

Here's a nice site about ecclesiastical latin pronunciation: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/ecclesiastical_latin.htm
However IMO Henry Preston Vaughan, An introduction to ecclesiastical Latin is more comprehensive as far as pronunciation is considered
Gratiam tibi pro eo nexu interretiali necnon pro libri nomine mihi indicato...! :)

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Gratiam tibi pro eo nexu interretiali necnon pro libri nomine mihi indicato...! :)
No problem amice bohemice, if medieval and ecclesiastical latin interests you, you might also find the book of Keith Sidwell - Reading Medieval Latin interesting (the whole first chapter is dedicated to pronunciation and information on how medieval latin differed in pronunciation in france, germany and italy.)

Iam nave mea piratica ad te vehor, neque ullus te iuturu'st :devil-trident:

:pirate-ship:
Frustra Deum precaris, o misere mortalis!
Hah... nec te diabole, nec ministros tuos timeo, o crudelis horrideque Daemon! Deus mihi scutum et Archangelus Michael mihi gladius! Non vinces, nam vir pulcher, musculosus, virtute plenus, fortis strenuusque sum (ingosce mihi Godmy sed "ego" meum nutrire debeo;) )....

nunc ad rem... Time me anima vilis infenalis! Ego sum miles dei, fide fortitudineque invincibilis. In nomine Dei te oppugnabo et superabo; postea rursus ad profunda affligam!

Vide Me !
Hadrianus Miles Dei.jpg

EDIT: genitive case of exercitus is "exercitūs; exerciti" - checked with my books and declension tables;)

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

One of the things I do for fun is experiment with different grammatical possibilities by creating languages. But to actually put one to use seems silly when Esperanto is about as simple as a conlang gets without losing the latin vocab. Though there is this offshoot called Ido, which is an absolute travesty.