Actiones secundum fidei

Hello everyone,
I have a question about latin inscription used in John Wick 3 movie

Adjudicator's medallion upper inscription
ACTIONES SECUNDUM FIDEI
Secundum here is a preposition, right? Why genitive ? I though it should be accusative like actiones secundum fidem actions in accordance with trust. Correct?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
You are right and the phrase is incorrect.

According to this, it was supposed to mean "action follows belief".

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
It's ungrammatical too. It was probably intended to mean "from unity, strength".

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
In fact, maybe a letter just dropped out and it was meant to be ex unitate vires.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Lol, I'm currently watching the film and was wondering about the same thing ... I googled the phrase and ended up here :D

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Since the wikipedia page Pacifica referred to a Theological dictionary and the phrase seems to be something that is found at least a few times, I thought it might not just have been a google translation fail but just an incomplete phrase that leaves a word implied ...
I found that Thomas Aquinas may have written about something like actiones secundum fidei Catholicae sententiam - actions according to the proposition of Catholic faith ... as opposed to other propositions or philosophical viewpoints, e.g. secundum Platonis sententiam.

I don't want to dive into that too deeply and read all of Thomas Aquinas now :p But I wonder if Terry S. has heard of it before.