ad calendas Graecas redono

vili

Hi

I try to make some different version of "Never give up". The Greeks didnt have calendas day and it meen never. Can some one tell me its redono (give up) or cede correct term and witch one is grammaticaly correct ?

1) ad calendas Graecas redono
2)redono ad calendas Graecas
3)ad calendas Graecas cede
4)cede ad calendas Graecas

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Huh? What is the connection between these two phrases?

Just say in English what you want translated, rather than making a blundering attempt at Latin which will inevitably come out unintelligible (as you have done).

ETA: Ah, I see the problem. You seem to think that ad Kalendas Graecas is interchangeable with the adverb nunquam "never" in Latin. That isn't really the case.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In French, "remettre quelque chose aux calendes Grecques" means to delay something, with no intention to ever do it in fact. But anyway even if the expression did exist in Latin (?) we'd have to say "I delay/postpone my giving up to the Greek Kalends..." - weird - not "I give up to the Greek Kalends", that would mean nothing, even in French.

EDIT: Redono doesn't mean "I give up". Cedo can mean it.

Noli umquam cedere: don't ever give up...
Numquam cedas/cesseris: never give up...

EDIT2: Had a look in the dic. The expression does exist in Latin, and it doesn't seem to need a verb like "postpone" as in French:

(Augustus) cum aliquos numquam soluturos significare vult, ad kalendas Graecas soluturos ait.

Maybe we could do something of it, after all...?