Advent calendars

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
I have never seen them anywhere but in the UK, although Wiki tells me they were invented by German Lutherans probably more recently than most people think. They appear to be popular here; I've always thought that they're the sort of thing that children find irresistible but lose a bit of attraction as you grow older. I bought one this year for the first time, which I'd have thought atypical enough not to mention in this context (all cheese, on sale as the supermarket couldn't seem to offload them several days into December) had I not seen it mentioned elswhere as an almost respectable option.

Talk about Advent calendars here.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
They didn't have any in Germany?

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
I imagine they did, but I failed to notice them. The cheeses repeat, and are all mediocre, apart from the Wensleydale with gingerbread. Which is as vile as it sounds, or even worse.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I think it's more of a children thing ... adults don't really get any advent calendars around here ... maybe some.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Advent calendars exist in Belgium. I had a few as a child. They're traditionally regarded as a children's thing, but there are apparently some for adults too now. There was a topic about advent calendars on the news a couple of weeks ago, where they talked about some new variants, as opposed to the traditional chocolate ones. They also interviewed the Belgian Catholic Church's spokesman or something like that, who explained that, initially, advent calendars contained little strips of paper with pious messages along the lines of "prepare your heart for Christmas".

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Cool ... like Chinese fortune cookies.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
my family decided to get advent calendars for the first time this year but I kept forgetting to actually open it each day