Adverbs formed with '-itus'

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

Can anyone explain the formation of adverbs such as 'divinitus' and 'cælitus' which though essentially ablative in meaning, seem rather to be drawn from '-s' stem neuter nouns, or (apart from not appearing as '-i' stems), the neuter accusatives of comparative adjectives?

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

-itus: Adv. suffix meaning „proceeding from, starting from“, e.g. radicitus from the roots &c. &c.

Last edited:

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Can anyone explain the formation of adverbs such as 'divinitus' and 'cælitus' which though essentially ablative in meaning, seem rather to be drawn from '-s' stem neuter nouns, or (apart from not appearing as '-i' stems), the neuter accusatives of comparative adjectives?
Taken from "Syntax and affixation: The evolution of "mente" in Latin and Romance" by De Keith E. Karlsson

"Caelitus", which itself is modeled after "penitus", is related to penus, oris "the innermost part of the house where the food was stored", later Penates, as in "household gods". "Divinitus" is one of variations, whilst -itus seems to be carried over from penitus and other third declension nouns such as radix and stirps.

This book says the same what previous posters said, that -tus is of ablative origin, ultimately being connected to in-tus as in "point of departure".

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I started reading this book, but never finished it. Just found it on my shelf.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

I have it in pdf as well, in case someone needs it.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Actually, I have a physical version. I remember ordering it online.