"After all"

TheMouseAvenger

Well, looks like I'm in need of further help with English-to-Latin translation!

After searching the Internet & these forums, I have not been able to find any Latin translation for the English adverbial phrase "after all". Can anyone help me out with this? :)

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Depends on what you mean. If you mean something like "after all we've been through," you might just say "post omnia." If you mean "after all" followed by some assertion ("in any case"), you might use "tamen," or in some cases "quippe" or "enim." If you mean "in the end" (as in "turns out they won't be coming after all"), then maybe "revera" or something like that.

By the way, have you seen the little mouse thread? It's just hilarious that your username is "TheMouseAvenger" :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

By the way, have you seen the little mouse thread? It's just hilarious that your username is "TheMouseAvenger" :D
Indeed! I thought exactly the same thing when I saw this username. That "little mouse" thread was memorable! :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ensis vindex te persequitur Iustitiae...

Kosmokrator

hmm ... ceterum?

Kosmokrator

yes ... but since i don't know english enough i'm unsure

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well maybe. Anyway I don't think there's a Latin expression that's exactly the same as the English "after all"... But maybe that's similar.

Doesn't "after all" exist in Italian? In French it does. Après tout.

Or postremo?

Kosmokrator

of course it does "dopotutto" ... i am unsure postremo can have the same meaning as "dopotutto" maybe some references would help.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Dic definition: postremo: 1) After everything else, last of all, lastly. b. (in a logical sequence) in the last place, finally. 2) On the last occasion, most recently, last, for the last time. 3) In the end, eventually, at last. b. in the last resort, finally. 4) To sum up, in short, in fact. b. after all, in the last resort.

...... don't know. In certain contexts maybe it can do.

Kosmokrator

well i think after all has an avversative meaning like anyway or similars so i think postremo it's not good ... anyway there's no latin to english full correspondence or to any modern language; you should think in latin to write in latin not in your native language. That's why you need to read a lot in latin to write in latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

well i think after all has an avversative meaning like anyway or similars
Right. So you think postremo doesn't have that meaning and ceterum does..?
you should think in latin to write in latin not in your native language. That's why you need to read a lot in latin to write in latin.
I'll do my best.

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Probably denique , even tandem .

Kosmokrator

Denique most likely

TheMouseAvenger

Depends on what you mean. If you mean something like "after all we've been through," you might just say "post omnia." If you mean "after all" followed by some assertion ("in any case"), you might use "tamen," or in some cases "quippe" or "enim." If you mean "in the end" (as in "turns out they won't be coming after all"), then maybe "revera" or something like that.

Thanks very much for your help! ^_^ I really do appreciate it! :D

Oh, & I haven't seen that thread yet. I'll have to check it out! :)

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Apart from its more literal meanings, the idiomatic expression ‘after all’ is used to introduce a phrase that contradicts something or at least is aimed at persuading. It presents this information as not particularly new or surprising.

So, something like quippe, enim, autem, etc., or some combination, could convey the sense.

Unless you give an example sentence, no real help can be given.

yes ... but since i don't know english enough i'm unsure
Why are you shouting?

Kosmokrator

i must have used some combination of keys while typing