An old adage: seni supino colei culum tegunt

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

seni supino colei culum tegunt: "when an old man lies down, his balls cover his butthole."

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Re: An old adage

Well, you can hardly expect profanity not to be profane...

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Re: An old adage

I concede to that point - but mine still stands : P

I'm not saying "delete this" or something like that, I'm just saying that the phrase was more than I needed to see right when I woke up (I didn't reply until I got back from work).

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

What language was the phrase said in originally?

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Here is the link to the source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_profanity#Usage_2

To put it in context, this is the paragraph in which it is quoted and called a "folk saying":

"On the other hand, a Pompeian graffito quotes what may have been a folk saying: seni supino colei culum tegunt: "when an old man lies down, his balls cover his butthole." This may have been a proverb, and constitutes ribald humour; it does not demonstrate that the word was considered particularly obscene."

I am sorry if this was not the most pleasant image to wake up to, but I hadn't thought that someone might check this thread first thing in the morning.

At around the same time, I also posted four sayings of a much more elevated tone in the Latin Mottoes area. It's too bad you didn't look there first.

Sincere apologies for any offense I may have caused. I thought I was acting in the spirit of fun, but I see it may have been a rather adolescent male idea of fun...

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Nah, it is fine. The moderating team has been discussing what should and should not go into the profanity forum, and the general consensus is, that as long it comes from an original Latin source OR involves a certain amount of wit, the phrase's existence in this forum is justified.

This conclusion has gotten the harpoon phrase axed, I am afraid.

JaimeB dixit:
seni supino colei culum tegunt: "when an old man lies down, his balls cover his butthole."
I had no idea they said such things about men. I thought this was the female prerogative *shifty*

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Decimvs dixit:
:hysteric: :roflred:

I quite enjoy the Wikipedia article on Latin Profanity.
Yes, it taught me a thing or two, though perhaps not the things I need to know the most about Latin...

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

No, there was no offense taken, I was just taking a mildly sarcastic crack at the phrase - I wasn't really serious in my posts.

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yeah, but still, not the prettiest picture...