an patiar

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

This is an interlinear gloss to Rev. 2:10 Nihil horum timeas quae passurus es. Ecce missurus est diabolus aliquos ex vobis in carcerem ut tentemini: et habebitis tribulationem diebus decem. Esto fidelis usque ad mortem, et dabo tibi coronam vitae.

In two of my three books, it seems to be to ecce missurus est etc., while in the third one it's nearer to passurus es. I'll post the three images so that you can see by yourself:

An patiar 1.PNG

An patiar 2.PNG

An patiar 3.PNG

I thought that if it were to passurus est, the translation would be "or should I say "I shall suffer"? (Like he will suffer when his faithful suffer?)", and that if it were to ecce missurus est etc. it would be "or should I say "I will permit"? (like he will send some of you into prison only because I will permit him to do so)". I also thought of the interpretation "will I (really) permit it?" but somehow it looks unlikely. For now I have kept the second one, since the majority of books have it there, and it for some reason seems a bit more likely to me. However, I am rather unsure about the interpretation of this, so that's why I'm asking your opinions.

I know I suck I'm always asking for help.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Could it be like "perhaps I shall suffer?"? Anyway what are those signs after and before patiar, do they mean that the gloss begins and ends?
Well it really looks like it refers to passurus in the third pic, so I don't think you did anything wrong, don't be so self critical.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Could it be like "perhaps I shall suffer?"?
Possibly but I'm not sure what the point would be.
Anyway what are those signs after and before patiar, do they mean that the gloss begins and ends?
The sign before means that a gloss begins, yes. I think the kind of ":" or reversed ";" in the first and second pics are equivalent to interrogation marks.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm really stuck on this one. If no one has an illumination for me, what am I supposed to do? Just leave it out? It isn't good but perhaps better than to just pick up one of my guesses that I'm not sure of and risk putting a wrong interpretation... I don't know. What do "professionals" do in this kind of cases? Perhaps "this kind of cases" just don't happen to them.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Can't you list both interpretations, noting the difference in the manuscripts? Or use the one that seems more likely to you in the main text, and have a footnote for the other interpretation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

That's what I would do if I weren't totally unsure about both interpretations. I fear I may be completely wrong in both cases.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I find these posts both interesting and educational.

I am doing to display my ignorance and ask, "Don't they all say the same thing? "

que passurus es. Ecce missurus

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I am doing to display my ignorance and ask, "Don't they all say the same thing? "

The inconsistency is in what part the gloss goes with.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I find these posts both interesting and educational.
Ah, good news if it can benefit anyone in any way.

What do you mean? They say the same thing (and I'm even not sure what it is), but at two different places, one of them certainly being a mistake (which complicates matters a bit more).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well I guess that if things stay as they are, I'll just put a note explaining the difference and saying I am not sure of the interpretation. I don't see a better way.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm still at a loss with this; bumping in case someone would have a stroke of genius...

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Is "an patiar" a reiteration of the comment on the side of the page: "Quasi dicat: Ne deficiatis vos, quia ego tantus propter vos passus sum mortem, de qua resurrexi."

So, translation : "don’t I suffer?"

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't think so, as besides patiar is future (or subjunctive).

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I don't think so, as besides patiar is future (or subjunctive).
I'm taking it as subjunctive, in an unstated question: "don't you think/doesn't it seem/isn't it clear that I suffer?"