And what will be, will be.

CallieC

Hey, I'm Callie and I want to get a tattoo that means a lot to me because it's just one of my deepest beliefs. I want it in the Latin because I just love the language. I have only taken a year of it so far so I need some help. The rest of my desired tattoo is as follows: what will be, should be. The rest are cowards. (or everyone one else is a coward)
It may help to know that the beginning of my tattoo will say Carpe diem. Carpe noctum. Carpe vitam.
To me this passage means to live life to the fullest no matter what the results may be, for whatever happens you cannot change and that is the way it should be. Those who do not live are cowards and are wasting precious life.
Online translators are awful and I want some feedback from real people. I appreciate any help very much!

Thanks,
Callie.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

The first part of your request has come up on a number of occasions.

If you don't like the Italian que (che?) sera sera, suggestions have included:

THREAD: #2790
Iynx: Quodcumque erit profecto erit.
kmp: quodcumque fiet sic fiet
kmp: quod erit erit
QMF: Quae iam futura sunt erunt.
THREAD: #2834
Cinefactus: quicquid fiet factus erit
Cinefactus: quicquid erit fuerit
QMF: erunt quae fient.

Strangely Latin doesn't seem to have a word for "coward." Lewis and Short have mulier but that means "woman."
The citation is Plautus, Bacchides, IV. 8. iv.: Non me arbitratur militem, sed mulierem. = "He thinks me not a soldier but a woman (girly-man)."

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

scrabulista dixit:
If you don't like the Italian que (che?) sera sera,
It’s not really Italian. It could be described as American English, I suppose. The lyricists freely mangled words of Romance origin to produce a song for English-speakers.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

scrabulista dixit:
Strangely Latin doesn't seem to have a word for "coward."
There’s also ignavus, someone who remains idle, either through laziness or fear.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

CallieC dixit:
Carpe diem. Carpe noctum. Carpe vitam.
Carpe noctem.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Hang on, do you want ‘what will be will be’ or ‘what will be should be’ or both? The title of the thread isn’t the same as what you’ve said subsequently.

CallieC

Cursor Nictans dixit:
Hang on, do you want ‘what will be will be’ or ‘what will be should be’ or both? The title of the thread isn’t the same as what you’ve said subsequently.
I'm sorry =( the rules said to post the first line in the subject so I put the rest in the body. I want both translated.

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

scrabulista dixit:
It certainly does:

Mollis
Timidus
Pauidus
Effeminatus
Pusillanimus
[...]

Absence in whitaker is not evidence of absence

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Que sera sera can also be seen as ungrammatical French (the correct version is Ce qui sera, sera and a slightly less correct version is Ce que sera, sera). Que sera sera can also be seen as ungrammatical Spanish (the correct version is Lo que sea será or a slightly less accurate version is Lo que será, será).

CallieC

Imprecator dixit:
scrabulista dixit:
It certainly does:

Mollis
Timidus
Pauidus
Effeminatus
Pusillanimus
[...]

Absence in whitaker is not evidence of absence
Ok, so how would you say And the rest are cowards? (or everyone else is a coward)

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I actually quite sympathise with your position. It's true there is a certain disorganised quality to the way the system works, and you would have none of this 'noise' if you were paying a professional translator. And since we are all unaccountable, hiding behind usernames, you have little idea of how trustworthy we are.

In our defense: Actually, a number of the regular contributors here are of pro standard, and because generally there are so many members with different areas of interest, we collectively have a very wide knowledge base. This makes us arguably a better option than a professional translator. But this is a forum, and not a translation service, and we tend to toss our ideas around a bit before settling on some workable options. Also, you need to give it a bit more time -- this is only the first day, and not everyone has seen your post who might be in a position to help. You will in the end need to make your own choice out of the options we suggest, but I think we can guarantee that you will come away with something plausible and grammatically correct.

Nonetheless, I do get that you'd just as soon pay to get the thing done simply and quickly.

(Even so keep an eye on this forum in case we do come up with something good.)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The tattoo will be on your skin for decades. You can afford to wait more than 13 hours and 10 minutes to get an answer.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The rest are cowards: ceteri pavidi
You need to explain what you mean by, "What will be, should be". Things are predestined? Things will turn out for the best? You get what you deserve? Or is it something else?

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

CallieC dixit:
I'm sorry =( the rules said to post the first line in the subject so I put the rest in the body. I want both translated.
OK. Just because, due to space restraints, the whole text can’t go in the title doesn’t mean that only what’s missing should go in the body. A title is just a title. The body is what you are actually using to communicate with us. You should always say exactly what you want us to translate, and it should obviously be in quotation marks or a separate paragraph in order to separate it from the rest of what you are saying.

In the end, I infer that what you want for your tattoo is the following:

Seize the day, seize the night, seize life
And what will be will be; what will be should be.
The rest are cowards.

I suppose by ‘the rest’ you mean people who don’t accept that what is to come shall and ought to happen.

CallieC

Cursor Nictans dixit:
CallieC dixit:
OK. Just because, due to space restraints, the whole text can’t go in the title doesn’t mean that only what’s missing should go in the body. A title is just a title. The body is what you are actually using to communicate with us. You should always say exactly what you want us to translate, and it should obviously be in quotation marks or a separate paragraph in order to separate it from the rest of what you are saying.

In the end, I infer that what you want for your tattoo is the following:

Seize the day, seize the night, seize life
And what will be will be; what will be should be.
The rest are cowards.

I suppose by ‘the rest’ you mean people who don’t accept that what is to come shall and ought to happen.
The guidelines said not to put quotations marks, I just didnt want anyone to get mad at something I did and not answer. But yeah that's pretty much right except not the first line just: "And what will be will be; what will be should be.
The rest are cowards" and well no just the rest who don't live like they should.

CallieC

Cinefactus dixit:
The rest are cowards: ceteri pavidi
You need to explain what you mean by, "What will be, should be". Things are predestined? Things will turn out for the best? You get what you deserve? Or is it something else?
its hard to explain, I guess just that you cant change what happens and so it should be that way, whatever outcome you get is the way it should be.

CallieC

socratidion dixit:
I actually quite sympathise with your position. It's true there is a certain disorganised quality to the way the system works, and you would have none of this 'noise' if you were paying a professional translator. And since we are all unaccountable, hiding behind usernames, you have little idea of how trustworthy we are.

In our defense: Actually, a number of the regular contributors here are of pro standard, and because generally there are so many members with different areas of interest, we collectively have a very wide knowledge base. This makes us arguably a better option than a professional translator. But this is a forum, and not a translation service, and we tend to toss our ideas around a bit before settling on some workable options. Also, you need to give it a bit more time -- this is only the first day, and not everyone has seen your post who might be in a position to help. You will in the end need to make your own choice out of the options we suggest, but I think we can guarantee that you will come away with something plausible and grammatically correct.

Nonetheless, I do get that you'd just as soon pay to get the thing done simply and quickly.

(Even so keep an eye on this forum in case we do come up with something good.)
I seriously appreciate all of the time you guys are spending to help me. If you're talking about my other post, I just want to double check and I thought someone on here might know someone good and Google wasnt helping much. I dont doubt any of your abilities I'm just paranoid. I'm sorry if I offended any of you.