Andria 184 - 194

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

SI.Dave. DA. hem quid est? SI.eho dum ad me. DA.quid hic volt?
SI. quid ais? DA. qua de re? SI. rogas?
<meu>m gnatum rumor est amare. DA. id populu' curat scilicet. 185
SI. hoccin agis an non? DA. ego vero istuc. SI. sed nunc ea me exquirere
iniqui patris est; nam quod ant(e)hac fecit nil ad me attinet.
dum tempus ad eam rem tulit, sivi animum ut expleret suom;
nunc hic d<ie>s aliam vitam defert, alios mores postulat:
de(h)inc postulo sive aequomst te oro, Dave, ut redeat iam in viam. 190
hoc quid sit? omnes qui amant graviter sibi dari uxorem ferunt.DA.ita aiunt. SI. tum siquis magistrum cepit ad eam rem inprobum,
ipsum animum aegrotum ad deteriorem partem plerumque adplicat.DA.non hercle intellego. SI. non? hem. DA. non: Davo' sum, non Oedipus.

SI. Davos!

DA. Well, what is it?

SI. Come see, man.

DA. What does that guy want?

SI. What are you saying?

DA. About what?

SI. You ask? There's a rumor that my son is in love.

DA. The people surely are interested in it.

SI. And are you with them on that?

DA. To be sure, I am.

SI. But to inquire of those things now would make me seem like an unjust father, for what he did before has nothing to do with me at all. While the time was appropriate, I let him do as he pleased; now this day, however, offers another life, requires another conduct. Hereupon I demand you, or if it's reasonable, I implore you, Davos, that he come back onto the [proper] way. (not sure again). You ask what that is? All who love, deeply resist marriage.

DA. So they say.

SI. Then if anyone takes a bad master, he generally applies his own ill mind to the morally crooked side of things.

DA. By gods, I don't understand!

SI. No? Really?

DA. Really. I am Davos, not Oedipus!

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

191-193
hoc quid sit? omnes qui amant graviter sibi dari uxorem ferunt.DA.ita aiunt. SI. tum siquis magistrum cepit ad eam rem inprobum,ipsum animum aegrotum ad deteriorem partem plerumque adplicat.

SI You ask what all this means. All who love take it badly when they are given a wife.
DA So they say.

SI Then if one takes a guidance in the matter from one who is wicked [or “takes a guide unfit for the matter”?], he [the guide] often leads that already suffering mind in the wrong direction.