Andria 206 - 227

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Davos
Enimvero, Dave, nil locist segnitiae neque socordiae,
quantum intellexi modo senis sententiam de nuptiis:
quae si non astu providentur, me aut erum pessum dabunt.
nec quid agam certumst, Pamphilumne adiutem an auscultem seni.
si illum relinquo, ei(u)s vitae timeo; sin opitulor, hui(u)s minas, 210
quoi verba dare difficilest: primum iam de amore hoc comperit;
me infensu' servat nequam faciam in nuptiis fallaciam.
si senserit, perii: aut si lubitum fuerit, causam ceperit
quo iure quaque iniuria praecipitem [me] in pistrinum dabit.
ad haec mala hoc mi accedit etiam: haec Andria, 215
si[ve] ista uxor sive amicast, gravida e Pamphilost.
audireque <eo>rumst operae pretium audaciam
(nam inceptiost amentium, haud amantium):
quidquid peperisset decreverunt tollere.
et fingunt quandam inter se nunc fallaciam 220
civem Atticam esse hanc: "fuit olim quidam senex
mercator; navim is fregit apud Andrum insulam;
is obiit mortem." ibi tum hanc eiectam Chrysidis
patrem recepisse orbam parvam. fabulae!
miquidem hercle non fit veri simile; atque ipsis commentum placet. 225
sed Mysis ab ea egreditur. at ego hinc me ad forum ut
conveniam Pamphilum, ne de hac re pater inprudentem opprimat.

Davos
Certainly, Davos, this isn't the time or place to be slow and lazy, as much as I just understood the old man's decision concerning this wedding. If it isn't cleverly taken care of, they will destroy either me or my master. Nor is it certain what I should do, help Pamphilus or listen to the old man? If I abandon the former, I shall fear for his life; if, however, I aid him, I shall fear the latter's threats, whom it is difficult to deceive. First of all, he already found out about this love affair; he keeps watch over me in a hostile manner to see whether I will play any trick at the wedding. Should he notice, I'm dead; or if it'll please him, he'll find a reason, a right by which and a wrongdoing for which he'll send me headfirst into the pounding mill. To this misfortune, it also occurs to me that this woman from Andria, no matter whether she's a wife or girlfriend, is pregnant by Pamphilus. And it is worthwhile to hear of their boldness (for this is a madmen's undertaking, hardly a lovers' one): whatever she gave birth to, they decided to rear it. And now they invent some trick amongst themselves that this is an Attic citizen: "Once upon a time, there was a certain old merchant who was shipwrecked on the island of Andros and died there." There then, Chrysis's father had received this small wrecked orphan. Bullshit! By gods, it certainly doesn't seem probable to me, but they themselves like this fabrication ... But now Mysis comes from her place. As for me, I now betake myself to the forum to meet Pamphilus so that his father won't seize him unaware of the matter.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

213-214
causam ceperitquo iure quaque iniuria praecipitem [me] in pistrinum dabit.
He’ll find a reason to fling me into the mill, rightly or wrongly.

ad haec mala hoc mi accedit etiam
To that misfortune of mine is added this one: that Andrian girl ..

civem Atticam esse hanc
That she is an attic citizen [otherwise, it sounds like it’s the child that’s referred to]

Fabulae
What a story! [Or “Pure invention!”]
[it doesn’t mean “bullshit”, which is a term of angry rejection, and really to be avoided (and doesn't sound at all like what Davos would say here).
With all due respect, and just by way of warning, non-native English speakers use swear-words far more than they should (because they hear them in movies, I guess?) and often make themselves sound silly to a native ear - like if I go to Germany and in the hotel start complaining about the “Scheisswetter”, it would just sound unintelligent, and very offputting]

miquidem hercle non fit veri simile

By the gods,

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Fabulae
What a story! [Or “Pure invention!”]
[it doesn’t mean “bullshit”, which is a term of angry rejection, and really to be avoided (and doesn't sound at all like what Davos would say here).
With all due respect, and just by way of warning, non-native English speakers use swear-words far more than they should (because they hear them in movies, I guess?) and often make themselves sound silly to a native ear - like if I go to Germany and in the hotel start complaining about the “Scheisswetter”, it would just sound unintelligent, and very offputting]
Yeah, I thought of using "nonsense!" but then decided for something stronger. Bad idea...