Andria v. 99 - 119

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

quid verbis opus est? hac fama inpulsus Chremes
ultro ad me venit, unicam gnatam suam 100
cum dote summa filio uxorem ut daret.
placuit: despondi. hic nuptiis dictust dies.SO.quid obstat quor non verae fiant? SI. audies.
ferme in diebu' paucis quibus haec acta sunt
Chrysis vicina haec moritur. SO. o factum bene! 105
beasti; <ei> metui a Chryside. SI. ibi tum filius
cum illis qui amabant Chrysidem una aderat frequens;
curabat una funu'; tristis interim,
nonnumquam conlacrumabat. placuit tum id mihi.
sic cogitabam "hic parvae consuetudinis 110
causa huiu' mortem tam fert familiariter:
quid si ipse amasset? quid hic mihi faciet patri?"
haec ego putabam esse omnia humani ingeni
mansuetique animi officia. quid multis moror?
egomet quoque eiu' causa in funus prodeo, 115
nil suspicans etiam mali. SO. hem quid id est? SI. scies.
ecfertur; imus. interea inter mulieres
quae ibi aderant forte unam aspicio adulescentulam
forma . . SO.bona fortasse.

What need is there of words? Impelled by this rumor, Chremes came to me of his own accord, to give his only daughter's hand in marriage to my son with a noble dowry. This pleased me; I betrothed my son to her. This day was declared for the wedding.
SO. What stands in the way from it becoming a true marriage?

SI. You will hear (about that). Within about a few days, during which these things came to pass, this Chrysis, our neighbor died.

SO. Ah, well done! You were happy; I feared for him, because of Chrysis. (not sure about that phrase).

SI. Then, my son was frequently present together with those who loved Chrysis. He arranged the funeral together (with them), sad meanwhile, shedding tears every now and then with the others. This pleased me at the time. Thus I thought to myself, "For the sake of a petty relationship, this guy bears her death so intimately. What if he himself would have loved her? What will he do to me, his father?" I considered all these things to be duties of human nature and of a gentle soul. Why do I ponder so many things? I myself went to the funeral for his sake, not even suspecting anything wrong.

SO. Hmm ... what's the matter?

SI. You will know. The body was carried out for burial; we followed. In the meantime, I saw one young woman among the women who happened to be present there, her appearance was ...

SO. Maybe a good one.

D

Deleted member 13757

99 - 119

Sosia: Perge!
Simo: Uno die, venit ad me Chremes quidam vicinus. Voluit enim filiam suam, unicam, Pamphilo uxorem dare. Dotemque summam secum adtulit.
Hoc mihi valde placuit et libenter despondi. Hic dies, dictus est nuptiis.
Sosia: Capio, sed dixisti mihi antea, has nuptias non esse veras. Cur?
Simo: Pro dolor! paucos post dies, Chrysis moritur. ita, istae, quam visitabat filus meus una cum suis amicis.
Sosia: Tibi placuit?
Simo: Certe pol placuit. Sed, filius meus, una cum istis, fecit ei funus, et valde tristabar. Haud intellegebam. Rogabam me ipsum, quid si ipsemet eam amavisset? Sed nihil etiam mali suspicans ad funus ivi.
Sosia: Perge!
Simo: Illic, aspicio unam adulescentulam...

D

Deleted member 13757

Just an FYI... what a whiny little b. this Simo is. I always thought prostitution was not frowned upon in the ancient times. Why is he so upset about his son visiting one. Loosing honer etc... Is it because he was just an uptight a*ole or was really a dishonor?

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Line 105-6
o factum bene!
Beasti. <ei> metui a Chryside
O good news. [“factum” as impersonal]
I am glad to hear it [you gladden me]. I was anxious for him [dative] on account of [ab + abl.] Chrysis

Line 112
quid si ipse amasset? quid hic mihi faciet patri?"
What if he had loved her? [i.e. how great would be his grief? Pluperfect subjunctive protasis = contrary to known facts – this might be just a problem with yer (if anything too correct) English]
What will he do for me, his father [[i.e how will he grieve?] dative of advantage – if you can be advantaged by someone mourning you!]

Line 113-4
haec ego putabam esse omnia humani ingeni
mansuetique animi officia
I thought all these things were the kindnesses of a gentle nature and a good heart [officium – kindness where no recompense is sought; humanus = humane, gentle etc.]

Line 114
Quid multis moror = why make a long story of it? [why am I delaying so long? c.f. Ne multis moror = To be brief]

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Just an FYI... what a whiny little b. this Simo is. I always thought prostitution was not frowned upon in the ancient times. Why is he so upset about his son visiting one. Loosing honer etc... Is it because he was just an uptight a*ole or was really a dishonor?
Doesn't seem, so far, like he's uptight about it, just worried about the nice dowry that the prospective father-in-law is offering