ANTIQUE ROMAN MONUMENT

Alexander93

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am interested in antique Roman inscriptions. I am not very good with Latin ( only basics :D ) , so I would really appreciated if someone could help me with translating this text from image.
Thanks in advance

Alexander
1.jpg

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I can't quite read it.

I O M
NON REGINA
(??) NRVAE PAE (???)
QVI (?????) VS
PECVIFECIT
FIPROBLA(???)
FELICITER

Can anyone read it better?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am interested in antique Roman inscriptions. I am not very good with Latin ( only basics :D ) , so I would really appreciated if someone could help me with translating this text from image.
Thanks in advance
Please tell us where the inscription is (going into as much detail as possible) and why you want it translating. No-one called upon to decipher epigraphic stuff like this wants to do it with no context.
IOM stands for Iovi Optimo Maximo.

Alexander93

Please tell us where the inscription is (going into as much detail as possible) and why you want it translating. No-one called upon to decipher epigraphic stuff like this wants to do it with no context.
IOM stands for Iovi Optimo Maximo.
Inscription is on stone pillar near the trim track where I go often. It looks to me like tombstone, but I was not sure. I am very curious person, and because I did not managed to translated by myself I joined this forum to search for help. Could You help me?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

This isn't the way historical research works.
Does your answer go into as much detail as possible, as I requested? Clearly not.
Help yourself first by answering the following:

What country is the inscription in?
What is the nearest city or town?
Is this pillar and its inscription mentioned in historical writings about your region? I'd be astonished if it's not.

What is the history of the site your "trim track" is on, especially during Roman times? What names of people or places from Roman times crop up in histories of the site/region? What is around the pillar today? Are there any other inscriptions, or ruins of ancient buildings, or other signs of earlier habitation/occupancy nearby? Has the pillar ever been moved during its history?

These are all questions you can find answers to if you just do a little research, and they are all questions that, once answered as reliably as possible, will help to ensure your inscription is reliably deciphered.

Alexander93

This isn't the way historical research works.
Does your answer go into as much detail as possible, as I requested? Clearly not.
Help yourself first by answering the following:

What country is the inscription in?
What is the nearest city or town?
Is this pillar and its inscription mentioned in historical writings about your region? I'd be astonished if it's not.

What is the history of the site your "trim track" is on, especially during Roman times? What names of people or places from Roman times crop up in histories of the site/region? What is around the pillar today? Are there any other inscriptions, or ruins of ancient buildings, or other signs of earlier habitation/occupancy nearby? Has the pillar ever been moved during its history?

These are all questions you can find answers to if you just do a little research, and they are all questions that, once answered as reliably as possible, will help to ensure your inscription is reliably deciphered.
Country is Serbia, City is Nis. In roman times it has been named Naissus.It was among the cities taken in the Roman conquest in 75 BC

A lot of famous people were born here : Constantine the Great, Constantius III and Justin I

Constantine created the Dacia mediterranea province of which Naissus was capital.

All kinds of coins were minted in Naissus.

it was destroyed by Attila in 443.

After Attila, city never restored its glory.

I think stone is not mentioned, because I presume that last month floods moved the land and that is when it appeared.

Today there is a trim track couple hundred meters far from location of the stone and nothing else.

You may be the first one after many years translating this.

If You are interested, I can send You image of whole stone in pm.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Then maybe Minervae. I see that some inscriptions have it after "iom iunoni reginae".

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

After Minerva, some form of Pallas? That does look like an 'e' after the 'a' though.

I also looked up paelex, but I'm not sure that works lol

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

5th line maybe is about him making the stone with his money.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Been looking at the 6th line: I kind of see pro Blaeso, a cognomen for the Sempronii. But that does look like a 'c' at the end there.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Been looking at the 6th line: I kind of see pro Blaeso, a cognomen for the Sempronii. But that does look like a 'c' at the end there.
I was thinking "fi probiano", but I have no idea. I thought it was a point after fi, if that is a fi.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

I was thinking "fi probiano", but I have no idea. I thought it was a point after fi, if that is a fi.
It seems Probianus can be a name. Now I see the point after fi. Is it the shortened form of fidelis (I know semper fi, but not sure whether it's a modern usage or not)? Apparently fi can also be an interjection expressing disgust at a bad smell lol.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It seems Probianus can be a name. Now I see the point after fi. Is it the shortened form of fidelis (I know semper fi, but not sure whether it's a modern usage or not)? Apparently fi can also be an interjection expressing disgust at a bad smell lol.
I was thinking about filius. But I am just making assumptions, I have no idea what's written in that line.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

4th line: qui unus?

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I also looked up paelex, but I'm not sure that works lol
Maybe P. Aelius? I wonder if after that could be Quirinus or something, perhaps as you say "qui unus".