Any recommendations for memorizing verbs?

Nojuzav

I been doing 1st Conjugation but man there is so many they don't register in my head well. I've done 25 hand repetion but they are not sticking like all the noun declensions.

I'm literally headed to walmart to buy flashcards. I was going to turn this into a game since that's my last option. 1 side will be an image while the other will contain the tense and conjugation.

I tried SRS but I keep getting confused, how did y'all get the verbs down to memory? Was there a trick or was it purely rough memorization? Did you play a game and if so how did you gamify it? Any games to recommend apart from flash cards? The only other game I like is time trial were I give myself 10 seconds to say all declensions (worked well on nouns) from memory. It got better as time decrease, at first it took 40 sec then it got down to 5-10 seconds.

I forgot to mention, I recite my declensions daily and I try the same with Conjugation if I don't keep stumping myself over participles and infinites vs indicative Active and passive, etc.

Update: I think I found myself a solution from other threads. I will have 1 side with a sentence using the verb Conjugation to express the meaning behind it alongside context and on the other side the actual word itself. This will help me see bigger picture, I hope.

Last edited:

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Suum cuique, benevole Quase! ;)

Tironis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Update: I think I found myself a solution from other threads. I will have 1 side with a sentence using the verb Conjugation to express the meaning behind it alongside context and on the other side the actual word itself. This will help me see bigger picture, I hope.
I think the idea of using a sentence for context makes good sense. I am leaning more and more towards the idea that the best unit of language for study is the sentence, not word.

But the way I am doing this now is: the prompt is an English sentence, the response (which I am trying to memorize) is the Latin sentence. Using the Prendergast* sentences and slowly creating an Anki deck, which will take about two years, I guess.

* The Mastery Series. Latin. By Thomas Prendergast. Fourth edition, 1880.

Last edited:

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

For me it was to make the six words into a kind of chant (song), and sing them to myself, silently or out loud, over several months
good ol' repetitio.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

BTW probably it would make sense to ask e. g. Spanish learners how they cope. I guess Spanish has more verb forms than Latin does and they are much more irregular at that.

Nojuzav

Thats the same method im using. Its kinda hard to memorize all the endings from the gecko. I have been stuck on verbs due to there been so many with very similar distinctions. I havent been able to move onto chapter 7, stuck at 6 since there is a few things im not understanding well. That chapter introduced "it" which i was not familiar with and i still dont understand "ad + acc" & "ab + abl" well.

Im currently rethinking a different approach, still the same method but more tailer to what i want, trying to add more engagement since its a bit dry just studying vocab.

Last edited:

Nojuzav

BTW probably it would make sense to ask e. g. Spanish learners how they cope. I guess Spanish has more verb forms than Latin does and they are much more irregular at that.
Yeah i should, i dont have american friends who are learning spanish only spanish who learned english. I should find someone!

Nojuzav

I think the idea of using a sentence for context makes good sense. I am leaning more and more towards the idea that the best unit of language for study is the sentence, not word.

But the way I am doing this now is: the prompt is an English sentence, the response (which I am trying to memorize) is the Latin sentence. Using the Prendergast* sentences and slowly creating an Anki deck, which will take about two years, I guess.

* The Mastery Series. Latin. By Thomas Prendergast. Fourth edition, 1880.
Are you learning any endings when using that approach or is it purely sentences that you memorize in the hope of acquiring the endings based on the meaning of the sentence?

I opened the pdf up, will definitely take the next day or 2 to read the first section until reaching the manuals to see the approach that is been spoken about.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I would be learning some endings implicitly by learning their usage in the sentences. (I have already learned the endings from Wheelock, so that's why I say "would be". But this helps to reinforce them.)

I haven't looked ahead much, but in the first four texts (80 sentences), I have been learning (reinforcing) the verb endings exemplified in narrat, narrabat, narravit, narrare, narravisset, narraset, naravisse, narret (he is relating, he was relating, he has related, to relate, he would have related (twice), to would have related, he would relate -- so far, only third person singular and infinitive active forms of first conjugation verbs, but learned in context, in a lot of tenses); the noun endings exemplified in vicinus, vicino, vicini, vicinum ("the neighbor" as subject, recipient, owner, object -- so far, only masculine plural forms of second declension nouns) and similar adjective endings. It is very different from the usual grammar-first approaches, where you have to learn 1st, 2nd, and 3rd persons, singular and plural, all at once, and where 1st and 2nd declension nouns get mixed together quite early.