Appositions

Symposion

Please can someone teach me what an apposition is and what it is not! I am going crazy. Thank you!

MIB

Civis

• Civis

As I understand it, an appositive represents the same thing as the noun to which it is in apposition. They are two names for the same thing (either or both may have their own modifiers). Sometimes these different names disagree in gender and/or number (depending on the aspect indicated), but grammatically, they're doing the same thing in the sentence, so the case should be the same. I don't think an adjective by itself can be an appositive, it would just describe the noun.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't think an adjective by itself can be an appositive, it would just describe the noun.
I suppose there can be exceptions but the only case I can think of off the top of my head where an adjective would be likely to be an apposition is when it's in the superlative together with a genitive or so (so it wouldn't be "by itself"), e.g. Cicero, oratorum clarissimus, iussu Marci Antonii interfectus est (Cicero, the most famous of orators, was killed on the order of Mark Antony).

B

Bitmap

I suppose there can be exceptions but the only case I can think of off the top of my head where an adjective would be likely to be an apposition is when it's in the superlative together with a genitive or so (so it wouldn't be "by itself"), e.g. Cicero, oratorum clarissimus, iussu Marci Antonii interfectus est (Cicero, the most famous of orators, was killed on the order of Mark Antony).
That's because a noun is sort of implied there in the genitive and it would be needless to repeat it twice ...

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That's because a noun is sort of implied there in the genitive and it would be needless to repeat it twice ...
This is such an interesting point... I don't think I've ever seen this called apposition (in Latin or else), but it should be.

MIB

Civis

• Civis

often results when the verbs (particularly verbs of being) in supporting clauses are eliminated to produce shorter descriptive phrases
This article considers a relative clause to be an apposition, which is even worse
Are these saying
the phrase: "My wife, a surgeon by training, ..."
is shorthand for "My wife who is a surgeon by training..." and that's how appositives were born?

If a non-place noun is used with a city in the locative, is it ablative (I think I had a textbook that said so)? If so, is the locative a specialization of the ablative, or is this an exception to the rule?

No, I'm a badger running on a meadow.
Acronym: Badger In The Meadow Approaching Photographer?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If a non-place noun is used with a city in the locative, is it ablative (I think I had a textbook that said so)?
Usually with a preposition, I believe, e.g. Romae in urbe praeclara.
If so, is the locative a specialization of the ablative, or is this an exception to the rule?
Three Indo-European cases, the ablative, the instrumental and the locative, merged into the Latin ablative. The locative and instrumental survived only in a few words, notably the locative in names of cities. So if, alongside a locative noun, you're using a word which, like the majority of words, doesn't have a locative case, you're forced to find a solution like Romae in urbe (which goes by sense) or domi tuae (which goes by looks, so to speak; as the locative domi looks like a genitive, tuae is put in the genitive).

Reactions: MIB

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

domi tuae (which goes by looks, so to speak; as the locative domi looks like a genitive, tuae is put in the genitive).
Actually, perhaps tuae is locative there... After all it would look the same. I don't know how the Romans thought of it — most likely it was all conflated in their heads.

B

Bitmap

Are these saying
is shorthand for "My wife who is a surgeon by training..." and that's how appositives were born?
No. The wiki article says that translating "morituri te salutant" as "those who are going to die greet you" makes use of an apposition in the translation ... which is wrong.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Apposition is similar to the complement/predicate when the verb is esse (Cicero ōrātor est.). The difference this that in such case the complement and the thing it connects to (the subject) are different (disjoined) syntactic elements in the sentence. In the case of the apposition, they are the same syntactic element / in the same group and the predicate (the verb etc.) is something different. (Cicero, ōrātor maximus, dormit. // Gaius Cicerōnem ōrātōrem videt.)

Here you go, easy!

Last edited:

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

That "adjective apposition" is still only an attribute (not an apposition). The attribute doesn't care which syntactic element it goes with. The only case where "adjective" could theoretically be an apposition would be, if it was treated as a noun. But I suppose such sentence would be unintellegible/too-ambiguous anyway... (I can't imagine it)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

mmmmm.... where else is the original instrumental other than inside the ablative? Are we talking some adverbs maybe?
Yes, I thought qui meaning "how" was an old instrumental, for instance. At any rate I believe I've read that somewhere, now maybe it was wrong and this is just an ablative...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, I thought qui meaning "how" was an old instrumental, for instance. At any rate I believe I've read that somewhere, now maybe it was wrong and this is just an ablative...
Hm, the OLD seems unsure. It says it's an "old abl., loc., or instrumental". Lol.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Cicero, oratorum clarissimus
If I may follow the thread with another question, isn't this a partitive object (I don't know how that's called in English) than can be expressed in (at least) by means of (at least) two equivalent expressions?

Cicero, clarissimus ex oratoribus, ...et cetera
Cicero clarissimus inter oratores,... et cetera

Does it really necessarily mean "the most famous of"? Couldn't it also be translated as "a very famous"?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If I may follow the thread with another question, isn't this a partitive object (I don't know how that's called in English)
Oratorum is a partitive genitive. Is that what you mean?
than can be expressed in (at least) by means of (at least) two equivalent expressions?

Cicero, clarissimus ex oratoribus, ...et cetera
Cicero clarissimus inter oratores,... et cetera
Yes, those are correct equivalents.
Does it really necessarily mean "the most famous of"? Couldn't it also be translated as "a very famous"?
Clarissimus by itself could translate that way, but together with a genitive or equivalent expression, not really, as that clearly points to a relative superlative meaning.

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I am crap! Please enlighten me...
I take umbrage with that sentiment for two reasons: (1) you may be investing a bit too much into the study of Latin, and (2) I resent the suggestion that anybody is crappier than myself. I, sir, am the crappiest of the crappers! I am so crappy that I don't understand half of what Bitmap is saying above...

Symposion

Well Latin is an important language. Appositions are important to understand. I am therefore not as you write "investing a bit too much into the study of Latin".