Are you sitting?

25/07/19
Tom Brake welcomes, quips and finally poses a question to the new Leader of the Commons. From the dispatch box returns the latter with interest and from the gallery an eruption of laughter and cheer.

25/07/19
Lessons from history.

Up to the bowling crease limbers SNP’s Pete Wishart and delivers a cutting swinger down the line. Again from the dispatch box another swift blow sees the ball middled and dispatched for six. And again to cheers and laughter from both sides of the House.

25/07/19

"There are of course Greek antecedents of the word archaic.."

Things do not go all the young prince's way. Enter a wily Achilles to deliver a finely honed rasper toward this dazzling Hector.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
When I saw the post name, I initially thought you were asking whether or not we sit while we are on this site.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
25/07/19
Tom Brake welcomes, quips and finally poses a question to the new Leader of the Commons. From the dispatch box returns the latter with interest and from the gallery an eruption of laughter and cheer.

Sometimes I really do miss the sarcasm of undergraduate debating.

Not the first to attempt to remove royal authority from the House (which parliamemt requires in order to sit) but this example is just pathetic and embarrassing in both the attempt itself and the context considering what little was at stake.

At least when Cromwell had the boys remove the mace from the Long Parliament he also had the speaker lifted too.

My advice, unless you're somebody with clout and with good boys around you, never, ever go for the mace as you'll look stupid and disrespectful.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
Yes, I am sitting down right now.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
I’m sitting in a desk.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
You'd need a public school education to keep the learned rabble in order.

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus
FWIW, I'm sitting in a chair. in my command center, of course.

I once asked (email) Jack Dromey MP for a day at parliament and he replied with a yes but then he blanked my following two emails enquiring as to when.

I don't think Skinner's quips are witty but I do enjoy watching Black Rod go through his motions and especially in 07 or 08 where he steps out of ceremony and personally addresses Skinner.