Athenaze - Restored Pronunciation [Resource]

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Just a short demonstration for potential learners of how it should (or might) look like.
In the attachment I'm adding also the mp3 and an unfinished bilingual Greek-Latin version.

The PDF is best viewed with the right and left page side-by-side (your PDF reader can be set to do that) as to see Latin on one side, Greek on the other, since the vertical position of each line corresponds on both sides.

Attachments

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Just a short demonstration for potential learners of how it should (or might) look like.
In the attachment I'm adding also the mp3 and an unfinished bilingual Greek-Latin version.

The PDF is best viewed with the right and left page side-by-side (your PDF reader can be set to do that) as to see Latin on one side, Greek on the other, since the vertical position of each line corresponds on both sides.
This sounds much more pleasing to the ear than the audio that came with my textbook!
One question: am I right to understand that ι is pronounced just like ε, as opposed to i (the latter being what my textbook recommends), and that lambda is dark?

Thanks.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks!

No, iota and epsilon have different vowel qualities, like short e and i in Latin. I distinguish them... the thing was about the diphthong ει pronounced as long closed "e".

Lambda should not be especially back...
Thanks Godmy. Yes after a few more hearings I now hear iota and epsilon being different. I was thrown by your pronunciation of iota, which is very different from French i (it sounds like something between French i and Turkish dotless i, at least that’s what I hear, but my ear is terrible). Maybe being French is also why any L-sound that’s not really light sounds dark to my ear...

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Well.... it's been a long time ago, I haven't really heard the recording in a while. Maybe, today, I would have done them in a different manner, I don't know.

What I generally now recommend to people in both Latin and Greek restored pronunciations:

1) master phonetics and phonetical notation (use some textbook, if necessary, like by Peter Ladefoged)​
2) learn to produce new sounds just by their phonetic description (=vowels by the position in the quadrilateral [diagram]) WITHOUT prior hearing them (whatever sound that may be, random sound)​
3) base your Greek and Latin pronunciation on your own best shots at it GIVEN the phonetic description in the respective books (e.g. Vox Graeca or Vox Latina by Sidney Allen), or, today, even by the Wiki articles: Phonology of Latin, Phonology of Ancient Greek​
4) having done that, you make take an inspiration from some models/recordings, but do not use a model or a recording as your own source for imitation, don't imitate too much (even me), use your knowledge of phonetics, develop your own pronunciation [which should be the best shot of the restored model], then read a lots of things with it ALOUD (=so your brain can hear it in a feedback loop and get used to the sound as well)... then, in time, it will become natural to you.​