Atila

J.M

Greetings to all Latin D members,

Today I would like the Alias of Atila, the King of The Huns (Atila, The Scourge Of God) to be translated into Classical Latin if possible,

Thank you as always,
J.M

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

This is not really classical Latin, but the traditional phrase is Attila, flagellum Dei. Note that his name usually has two Ts.

J.M

This is not really classical Latin, but the traditional phrase is Attila, flagellum Dei. Note that his name usually has two Ts.
Greetings Pacifica,
Thank you for your accurate translation as always. I surmised you would refer to the fact that Atila's name is written with only one T although I conjecture that original, ancient manuscripts that I have no direct access to may have spelt Atila's name with only 1 T and I therefore suspect that his name was later Austrionised by the Has urgs into Attila (note I have now written it with 2 T's) when Hungary and Austria became the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I cannot secure this information is accurate therefore I was pondering if you would have access to or cognized this information,

Very much appreciated as always,
J.M

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I surmised you would refer to the fact that Atila's name is written with only one T although I conjecture that original, ancient manuscripts that I have no direct access to may have spelt Atila's name with only 1 T and I therefore suspect that his name was later Austrionised by the Has urgs into Attila (note I have now written it with 2 T's) when Hungary and Austria became the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I cannot secure this information is accurate therefore I was pondering if you would have access to or cognized this information,
No, I don't know. Mistakes with double consonants — writing one where there should be two or two where there should be one — are relatively common in Latin manuscripts; it is therefore likely that someone at some point at least wrote Atila with one t. Whether that was ever, or originally, the more correct and generally accepted spelling, though, I don't know.

Reactions: J.M

J.M

No, I don't know. Mistakes with double consonants — writing one where there should be two or two where there should be one — are relatively common in Latin manuscripts; it is therefore likely that someone at some point at least wrote Atila with one t. Whether that was ever, or originally, the more correct and generally accepted spelling, though, I don't know.
I appreciate all your help and interest Pacifica,
Thank you,
J.M