Bands / songs with latin lyrics?

Joelius

Does anyone know of any bands who sing in latin? Or any single songs in latin?

One I know of: Omnia Sol Temperat by the German band In Extremo

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Somnus Nemoris (Final Fantasy Versus XIII theme)
Liberi Fatali (Final Fantasy VIII theme; the title is grammatically incorrect, yes).

cepasaccus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

nequam

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The Misfits, remade 'Halloween' in Latin, though even I know they just took a dictionary and word replaced...

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well, there's always the Latin version of Disney's "A Whole New World" that I wrote, which can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j54YcwDFBts. Also, if I could just get some constructive criticism to ensure it ends up being the best it can be, I'd publish my Latin lyrics for "My Heart Will Go On" from "Titanic" (http://latinforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=4076) in a heartbeat! It's getting frustrating, really. I've posted the adaptation on this forum and on one or two other Latin-themed sites asking for comments, and my post(s) are still being ignored.

Back to the point, though, I think Wikipedia has a rather extensive list of songs containing Latin lyrics. I'll see if I can hunt it down again and post a link here. I think music, particularly modern pop music, could be a great medium for reviving the Latin language. I wouldn't mind seeing Latin adaptations of popular songs become a sort of genre, if for nothing else than progressive educational purposes. Unfortunately, we'd probably have to call it "Roman Latin" or "Neo-Latin" just to avoid confusion with Spanish-language music.

A

Anonymous

Can't say I know of any either.

I'm trying to translate Take That "Rule the World" bits of it anyway, for a cross stitch sampler that I'm doing.

"My Heart will go on" is one of my favourites, I loved the music in Titanic anyway as I do like film music. Am surprised none of the more experienced have commented. Am new on here so my Latin skills are somewhat rusty !!!

Interficio

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

latin country music? 0_0

Eruresto

Don't forget "One Winged Angel" on Final Fantasy VII. You can here it on the "Advent Children" movie along with another piece in Latin. I did notice on one part of "One Winged Angel" they use some Japanese for a phrase.

oh well it is a good bit of music.

Eruresto

oh! I remembered that Disney's Hunchback of Noter Dame has Latin in there music. I haven't seen the movie in a long time but when i found the soundtrack i picked that thing up. I love the music except for the last songs that played during the credits.

lusus naturae

There's some Latin in "Field of Innocence" by Evanescence. It's part of the hymn "Iesu, Dulcis Memoria."

There's also the cd and book "Grunt" by Sandra Boynton. It's got a lot of Pig Latin in it but also a fair bit of real Latin. It's really funny to turn it on when you have a bunch of guests over. They think they're hearing some Gregorian chant - until the rooster starts singing. :hugegrin: