"Be fierce and relentless in your quest."

themdallas

Hi everybody,
I wanted to create a powerful motto focusing on the idea of "fighting spirit". How would you translate "Be fierce and relentless in your quest" in Latin? (or simply "Fight for your quest").

Thank you in advance,
Marco

D

Deleted member 13757

ferox atque indefessus esto in /curso tuo/via tua
be "fierce" and "untired" in your quest/way

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

There isn't really a word for "quest" in Latin, but the idea is usually expressed by verbs meaning "to seek, to be in quest". Also, Latin words for "relentless" have a very bad connotation like "merciless, cruel". So I propose "seek fiercly and constantly - without stopping."

Ferociter require et assidue (singular "you")
Ferociter requirite et assidue (plural "you")

This might also be in the same spirit:

Propositum ferociter pete et assidue (singular "you")
Propositum ferociter petite et assidue (plural "you")

Reach for your goal fiercly and constantly.

D

Deleted member 13757

Hello,
There isn't really a word for "quest" in Latin, but the idea is usually expressed by verbs meaning "to seek, to be in quest". Also, Latin words for "relentless" have a very bad connotation like "merciless, cruel". So I propose "seek fiercly and constantly - without stopping."
Hmm... You definition of quest is fine, but a simple "journey"/"voyage" is more dominate this days IMO at least in my neck of the woods. It does not have to have a "strong" implication of "seeking" something anymore. A life is a quest for example. This can be reddired simply by "journey" cursus, via etc... A simple "journey with a story".

There are many many many ideas here: journey, goal, pursuit, destination, hunt, chase, run etc... each with slightly different inclinations. In Russian for example we can simply say "way" or even "road" for such a generic idea.

"relentless" simply means tireless, persistent etc.... whocumque listed it as "merciless" for Latin? It's just weird. Maybe the meaning evolved over time. But we all have preferences for our adjectives and adverbs don't we... :)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Hi everybody,
I wanted to create a powerful motto focusing on the idea of "fighting spirit". How would you translate "Be fierce and relentless in your quest" in Latin? (or simply "Fight for your quest").
I can't see any necessary connection between being fierce and being on a quest, though needing to be relentless is a fairly standard prerequisite. What kind of quest do you have in mind?
"Fight for your quest" takes an entirely new turn, suggesting you have to fight for the opportunity even to begin one.
What do you really want to say? Please give us more information.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, I guess via can do too, it all depends on what exactly "quest" means in the OP's mind. If it is the quest/search for something in particular, then my first option with requirere is the good one. If it is more an idea of a general goal/aim to reach, then my second one with propositum. If it is more about your "way" as you say, then your version is good. I would simply replace indefessus by impiger, maybe (not slothful, active, energetic, brisk; more like someone that cannot be tired, "untirable", rather than who is just not tired - as indefessus.)
"relentless" simply means tireless, persistent etc.... whocumque listed it as "merciless" for Latin? It's just weird. Maybe the meaning evolved over time.
Yes, I was also kind of surprised. In my English-Latin dic, all there is at the "relentless" entry is: immisericors, saevus, atrox. You see, all bad connotation.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

There isn't really a word for "quest" in Latin
quest (subs.) :
I. A diligent, eager, search (used, in the phr. in quest of: but often absol.) :
1. expr. by subs. (i.) quaesitio, f. : Psyche bent on the q. for Cupid. Psyche quaesitioni Cupidinis intenta, Apul. M. 5, p. 171:
(ii.) inquisitio,f.. ; absol., the q. for truth : .join inquisitio atque investigatio ; Cic. Off. hominis est propria veri inquisitio atque investigatio, Cic. Off. I, 4, 13: in q. of: inquisitione (the hyena is said) to be the only beast that rifles tombs in quest of dead bodies, ab uno animali sepulcra erui inquisitione corporum. Plin. 8, 30.44:
to send a person anywhere in q. of. mittere ad inqisitionem (with gen. of thing and in of place): cf. Amyntam cum deceem triremibus in Macedoniam; ad inq. novorum militum (in q. of recruits).
Curt. 4. 6, Jin. : dat. in the phr. take care I don't come in q. of you, sed tu cave inquisitioni mihi sis, Pl.
Casin. 3. I, fin. (iii.) quaestio, /. (In sim. phr.) : tibi ne quaestioni essemus, id. Capt. 2. J, J : and in abl. with in, cave fuas mihi in quaestione. Id. Pers. I, I, 52. (Note: the abl. quaesitu, Plin. 5,9, 10, stadium, a person in q. of, quaesitor, m., Pascal. Pan. Theod. 28 : inquisitor : one in q. of the facts of science, rerum naturae inquisitor, Sen. Q. N. 6, 13; : cf. rerum inquisitorem decet esse sapientem, Cic. fr. Acad. ap. Aug. contr. Acad. 2, II: v. inquirer, investigator. [...]

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, I know quaesitio and inquisitio, but it seems to me that with nothing to determine it it could as well be understood as "inquiry".

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I can't see any necessary connection between being fierce and being on a quest, though needing to be relentless is a fairly standard prerequisite. What kind of quest do you have in mind?
"Fight for your quest" takes an entirely new turn, suggesting you have to fight for the opportunity even to begin one.
What do you really want to say? Please give us more information.
Amice, to me "fight for your quest" appears semantically as "overcome difficulties or adversities that stand in your way of completing the quest". I thought about "discrimīna superā + [purpose clause/inquīsītiōnis (atque investīgātiōnis) perficiendī* causa]. What do you think?

*Doderlein: perficere refers to an end attained, and a self-chosen task, which is now done, and may be called complete, in opp. to conari. Cic. Orat. 29, 30.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Amice, to me "fight for your quest" appears semantically as "overcome difficulties or adversities that stand in your way of completing the quest".
I think that is what he must mean, but the English is odd.
As for a suitable noun for "quest", I doubt whether there is one really (I'd reluctantly agree to quaesitio) ; as P.P. suggests, I'd be inclined to make a verb carry the meaning instead.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

As for a suitable noun for "quest", I doubt whether there is one really (I'd reluctantly agree to quaesitio)
A bit ambiguous, but I suppose there is Questa.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's in no dic but if it really exists in later Latin why not. (I'd really need a dic of medieval/late Latin.)

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It's in no dic but if it really exists in later Latin why not. (I'd really need a dic of medieval/late Latin.)
Try Niermeyer - Mediae Latinitatis Lexicon 1976

I think that is what he must mean, but the English is odd.
I'd be inclined to make a verb carry the meaning instead.
Interesting. What "verbal expression/ phrase" would you choose (bearing in mind rules of latin prose composition i.e. semantic accuracy of vocabulary and conciseness of composition)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Interesting. What "verbal expression/ phrase" would you choose (bearing in mind rules of latin prose composition i.e. semantic accuracy of vocabulary and conciseness of composition)
We need more information from the OP first.

Try Niermeyer - Mediae Latinitatis Lexicon 1976
I'm lost now. What is the word that is in Niermeyer? I can't view Cinefactus' link.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm lost now. What is the word that is in Niermeyer? I can't view Cinefactus' link.
Niermeyer has : inquisitio, vestigatio (perhaps there are more, I only have paper exemplar of this dictionary so it's difficult for me to browse it).
Amice, in my post I mostly referred to P.P. statement :
Pacis Puella dixit:
(I'd really need a dic of medieval/late Latin)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is questa in it (or can anyone find that word in any other dic?)?

Aurifex, in Cinefactus's link it's just a list of book titles and there's questa sancti gradalis among them.