"Between the earth and the stars"

LittleBlueBird

Hi there, I'm working in a song about the human predicament. I'm curious how you might phrase this if you were an old poet? I'm open to sugestions regarding the english phrasing as well. Thanks for your time and cheers! Wyatt

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Inter terram et astra is the first way that comes to mind, though there's other possible word choices as well. Tellurem is another possibility for "earth" (more meaning "the globe, Planet Earth") and sidera for "stars".

LittleBlueBird

Thank you Callaina, I appreciate your help. I was curious about the expressions 'et stellis' and 'super terrim'. These were supplied by a robot translator, are they also appropriate for a song title? Thanks again! Wyatt

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

These were supplied by a robot translator, are they also appropriate for a song title?
No. They're grammatically meaningless. Don't trust robot translators, ever (at least not for Latin.)

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

You've been given a proper translation, so why are you now asking about the output of a machine? Do you find Callaina's translation unsatisfactory somehow?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

No my froggy friend, I was only curious if these phoenetically pleasing phrases were usable.
Phonetically pleasing they may be (though not particularly to my ear) but linguistically coherent they are not. ;)

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

To get an idea of 'terram', OP, imagine the same 'rr' from spanish tierra, then replace the 'a' with a French 'eeen' or 'unnn' sound.

Mmm... what a sexy word.

LittleBlueBird

I can see that i've wandered far out of my depth here. These comments inspire me to make a stab at learning the language. If I actually knew how these words sounded perhaps the choice would be obvious. I will take Callainas original advice. Thanks to all for your input. I'm curious, did astra become astral and stellis become stellar in english? The stars are my favorite thing in this world. Cheers

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

To be exact, it isn't quite astra and stella that became astral and stellar, but astralis and stellaris — which were of course adjectives derived from the nouns astra and stella.