Bibliotheca Genearchae

Bruodinus

Hello everyone,
I am reading through an old book and have come across a section which refers to the presence of a library. Now, I have located in another source, information about this library but would really like to get a translation of the below description of the library. From what I can make out, the writer is rather critical of this library which located at a place called Moyse. The library was operated by the Bruodinorum family, and was written about by one of their members, Bruodinus. So the below is another man's critical opinion of the library and essentially his disagreement with the description of the library given by Bruodinus.

If anyone is up for the challenge, I'd be grateful for a translation!
many thanks indeed for reading this far!
L.

Quibus tamen nec ego, necullus Jure-consultus plus fidei habebimus, quam Hebraeorum Thalmudo. Licuit ergo mihi alia se qui Chronica, tibi tuum Talmud. Sunt hi duo Tomi, Bardorum Bruodinorum sacra Biblia, quae à Bruodinis, sí Diis placet, tanquam ab altero Moyse conscripta, servantur in Bibliotheca (panario dicas, vir vanissime) Genearchae. Quam speciosum illud Bibliothecae nomen? Quales ibi plutei, & foruli, quibus lemniscis ornati? Quamlia ibi peristromata? Quot tomi & volumina O curas hominum! Quantum est in rebus inane?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Moderator please change thread title.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

What?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Thine army is ready to obey thine orders, Milord.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Haha! Can't rightly tell -- art thou mocking me or agreeing with me? Or both? :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Mocking gently ;). Though the title does need changing.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well someone must keep order.
Ordnung muss sein!
lol
Why art thou not a moderator, I wonder? But thou usedst to be, usedst thou not?

Edit: Perhaps it is to be feared that if thou wert one, thou wouldst soon take exclusive control of the entire board.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Suggestions, please.
Fine. How about "Bruodinus text from Moyse library" or some such...
Why art thou not a moderator, I wonder? But thou usedst to be, usedst thou not?

Edit: Perhaps it is to be feared that if thou wert one, thou wouldst soon take exclusive control of the entire board.
Yeah, right. :rolleyes: I used to be for a while, but I don't really like politics and secret back-talking. Enough said, really, prithee. How dost thou know that in the first place, I wonder? It's been years, I think.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I just chanced upon a thread as I was passing my time looking at old stuff.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Quibus tamen nec ego, necullus Jure-consultus plus fidei habebimus, quam Hebraeorum Thalmudo.
"Whom (or "which") neither I nor any jurisconsult will place more trust in than the Talmud of the Hebrews".
Licuit ergo mihi alia se qui Chronica, tibi tuum Talmud.
I suspect this should read: licuit ergo mihi alia sequi Chronica, even though I see at least one printed text writes it as you give it. The translation would then roughly be: "I then was allowed to follow another Chronicle (or different Chronicles), you your Talmud".
Sunt hi duo Tomi, Bardorum Bruodinorum sacra Biblia, quae à Bruodinis, sí Diis placet, tanquam ab altero Moyse conscripta, servantur in Bibliotheca (panario dicas, vir vanissime) Genearchae.
"These two tomes, the sacred books of the Bruodin bards, which were composed - if it pleases the gods - as if by a second Moses, are kept in the library, (the bread-basket, you might say, you thoroughly vainglorious man) of the head of the family."
I may need to revise my understanding of the word genearcha.

Quam speciosum illud Bibliothecae nomen? Quales ibi plutei, & foruli, quibus lemniscis ornati? Quamlia ibi peristromata? Quot tomi & volumina O curas hominum! Quantum est in rebus inane?
I suspect the question marks should all be exclamation marks, and quamlia is a variant (legitimacy unknown) of qualia.
"How fine that library's name is! What shelves and bookcases there, adorned with what ribbons! What coverlets are there! How many tomes and volumes! Oh the cares of men! How much vanity there is in things!"

Bruodinus

thank you very much for this. I was quite stumped on the word Genearchae. Grateful if there are other views on this.

Are you sure about the translation: bread-basket? It seems perhaps slightly out of place here.

L.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Are you sure about the translation: bread-basket? It seems perhaps slightly out of place here.
panarium is literally a bread-basket. The writer seems to be trying to belittle the library's size or significance or both. Comparison with a bread-basket might not come naturally to us, but it was once an everyday object of probably a standard size and may have lent itself more naturally to such comparisons.

Bruodinus

Hello,
I see now - yes that does makes sense and he is certainly trying to belittle the library's significance and physical appearance.
Many thanks for your help with this!:)
I am translating another passage written by the same author. I have had a go at it but would be grateful if you could please run your eye over it. It's fairly rough and there is one particular part that I'm not sure how it fits in. But thought I'd have a go at it anyway:
Ferallus Wardeus in Comitatu Tyrconellensi nominatissimus quondam vir, Principis; O Donel Archipoeta, & Historicus, Mariam Bruodinam, Darij filiam in uxorem habuit.
Daniel Clery jam nominti Principis O Donel Consiliarius & Chronologus, Magaritam Bruodinam, Mariae soroem ab his duabus foeminis plurimi praeclari viri, saeculares, & Ecclesiastici in Ultonia originem traxerunt.
Gabriel Donlevi (vulgò Ultanus dictus) Excellentissimus Medicinae Doctor in Comitatu Tyrconellensi, accepit in uxorem Marian Bruodinam, Chuttberti de Fernan filiam.

My translation....
Fergal Ward of County Tyrconnell, once a leading name and arch-poet and historian to O’Donnell took Mariam Bruodinam, the daughter of Darius, as his wife.
Daniel Clery was the name of O’Donnell’s principal counsellor and chronicler, took the sister of Maria, Magaritam [as his wife], he being a most distinguished man of the secular world and the church in Ulster [not sure how originem traxerunt fits in here…]
Gabriel Donlevi (commonly called this in Ulster) was an excellent medical doctor in County Tyrconnell, and took as his wife Marian Bruodinam, the daughter of Cuthbet of Fernan.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Presumably Principis goes with O'Donel, viz "chief O'Donnell".
Daniel Clery jam nominati Principis O Donel Consiliarius & Chronologus, Magaritam Bruodinam, Mariae sororem ab his duabus foeminis plurimi praeclari viri, saeculares, & Ecclesiastici in Ultonia originem traxerunt.

I'm not sure how the text you're reading is punctuated but it would make more sense if we altered things slightly and allowed the sentence that ends in uxorem habuit to end at Mariae sororem. The sentence would then translate "Fergal Ward...took Mary Bruodin, daughter of Darius, as his wife; Daniel Clery, counsellor and chronicler of the aforesaid chief O'Donnell, (took) Margaret Bruodin, Mary's sister.
The rest, beginning ab his duabus feminis, would then translate: "From these two women very many famous men, both men of the world and men of the church in Ulster, took their origin."

Bruodinus

ok yes I think that's good. It is much clearer this way for sure.

Thank you very much for assisting with this and may rather (!) rough translation. :)