Birds of a feather

Leizorex

Trawling for proverbs for my students, I found,

Pares cum paribus facillime congregantur "Likes with likes most easily gather"

Naturally I thought of the English equivalent, "Birds of a feather flock together"

So I came up with Ornes uniae pinnae una concurrent.

No idea if uniae pinnae could possibly be understood like the English idiom. Your thoughts?

Gratias magnas ago!

Laurentius

Man of Culture
It doesn't make much sense in Latin and you'd likely rather say something like "birds of the same feathers", but I am still not sure that an ancient Roman would understand what you mean.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Also, the genitive singular of unus/a/um is unius in all genders, not uniae.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Pares cum paribus facillime congregantur "Likes with likes most easily gather"

I would simply stick with this one. It is a very good translation of the English proverb...

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris
For some background:

Volatilia ad sibi similia conveniunt (Ecclesiasticus 27:10 = Sirach 27:9). (Flying creatures gather with those that are like themselves.)

Aristotle Nic. Ethics 8.1: But there is much difference of opinion as to the nature of friendship. Some define it as a matter of similarity; they say that we love those who are like ourselves: whence the proverbs ‘Like finds his like,’ ‘Birds of a feather flock together,’ [6]

Note 6: Literally [in Greek] ‘Jackdaw to jackdaw.’

Also see Erasmus, Adages: Simile gaudet simili. "Like rejoices in like."

Leizorex

Yes, Civis, I do like the one I found, but innovation is fun, if seldom either new or an improvement.
Wonderful background, Syntaxianus! In another 2000 years when 98% 0f documents have again vanished, maybe mine will survive by chance not merit.

How about Aves earundem pinnarum una concurrent?

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris
Aves similibus pennis congregantur.

Birds of like feathers flock together.

You probably want "similar" rather than "same." Ablative of description seems appropriate.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
That feels like it should work well.