Blessed by the Moon / Sun

Shay H.

Y'all here on the forum have inspired me to try figuring out more of the translations I want to use in my story. Old dog, new tricks, though, so my apologies if this makes you wince.

I think the verb I want is beor and Luna / Sol for Moon/ Sun, and if I understand the what of how the verbs and all work, a title used in English might be something like: Beatur Luna or Beatur Sol

As an example of how it would be used: dixit:
"George's formal titles include Beatur Luna, but it's not uncommon for such werewolves to be called simply Luna or lunar wolves."
Would the plural form, as in all the people blessed by the moon, be Beantur Luna or Beantur Lunae?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There's a number of issues in your attempts. First, "by the moon/sun" should be in the ablative (it of course shouldn't be plural; we're talking about one moon and one sun, not moons and suns); secondly, beatur and beantur mean "he/she is being blessed" and "they are being blessed" respectively, not just "blessed". For the latter, you need a perfect participle, which for this verb would be beatus for a male, beata for a female, and beati for a mixed-gender group of people. This word beatus, however, is most of the time used as an adjective; the verbal sense is rare.

"Blessed by..." is not so straightforward to translate. While beatus remains a potential option, it won't necessarily the best one. In what sense exactly do you mean "blessed" here? Do you mean, for example, blessed in a religious sense as in blessed by a priest or god who has uttered a blessing on you, or blessed as in made incredibly happy or provided with many good things?

Shay H.

Thank you for the feedback!

First, "by the moon/sun" should be in the ablative (it of course shouldn't be plural; we're talking about one moon and one sun, not moons and suns);
Awesome, thank you for the clarification!

secondly, beatur and beantur mean "he/she is being blessed" and "they are being blessed" respectively, not just "blessed". For the latter, you need a perfect participle, which for this verb would be beatus for a male, beata for a female, and beati for a mixed-gender group of people. This word beatus, however, is most of the time used as an adjective; the verbal sense is rare.

"Blessed by..." is not so straightforward to translate. While beatus remains a potential option, it won't necessarily the best one. In what sense exactly do you mean "blessed" here? Do you mean, for example, blessed in a religious sense as in blessed by a priest who has uttered a blessing on you, or blessed as in made incredibly happy or provided with many good things?
I do mean a quasi-religious, active blessing, as in the Moon has blessed this person, granting them a specific set of characteristics and abilities. It's not a "blessed life" type of thing, but more of a "you got this, now do good with it" thing.