Book of Magic...

paulmoore

Hi there. I was just thinking about adding some flavor to one of my scenes in my book and thought about adding a title to the book that is used in my ritual. I was tossing around the ideas...

Magic Book
Book of Magic
Book of Magical Spells
Magical Spells and Rites

Then I started to think back and remembered hearing something about a Codex, which for all intents and purposes is another 'type' of book or a copy of a greater work. Is using the name Codex a viable option or will it not fit? I think that Latin for book is Liber, correct? What about scriptum? I ask because I know that a scriptorium is a place in a monastery or abbey where records/copying are done, but from what I gather it is mostly scrolls. I guess I would just really like to know what options are out there. Thanks again, and sorry for being a bother!

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The title of books is often in the format: About xxx
in which case I would suggest
De Artibus Magicis
(which is in fact the title of a book on the topic, albeit from a different angle!)

Otherwise you could try something like:
liber/ tractatus/codex artium arcanarum/magorum/magicarum
roughly being
a book/ treatment/codex of the sciences of the arcane/mages/magic

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

And a combination of the two:
Liber de Artibus Magorum ac Ritibus Arcanis
A book on sciences of mages and arcane rites
for short just De Artibus Magorum

paulmoore

Cinefactus, thanks for the quick reply! For some reason I am really digging 'Codex Artium Magicarum' (Book of the Magical Arts??) plus I am also partial to 'Ritibus Arcanis'. Is there any way to combine these particular 2? I am probably going to embarass myself by even attempting this, but would it go anything like this...?

Codex Artium Magicarum et Ritibus
OR
Codex Artium et Ritibus Magicarum

I figure that seeing as how the others end in -um that Ritibus is the wrong case? How would that look otherwise if I meant the meaning as a Book of Magical Arts and Rites/Rituals?
Thanks again!

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

rituum,
you could have codex artium et rituum magicorum (note the change of gender)
or pair magic with another adjective such as codex artium magicarum et rituum arcanorum

paulmoore

'codex artium magicarum et rituum arcanorum' sounds awesome! I take it to mean Book of the Magical arts and Arcane Rituals. We have a winner! Thanks so much!