brainstorming

B

Bitmap

Hello!

Could anybody think of a catchy way to create a Latin translation for "brainstorming"?

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Hmmmmm....

The first thing that comes to mind would be a verb for "to think", and then an ablative absolute with a present active participle (with the mind turning, raging, very active).
:wondering:

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think this calls for a less literal approach... maybe "discurrere in rebus/apud res mentis"?

B

Bitmap

Imprecator dixit:
I think this calls for a less literal approach... maybe "discurrere in rebus/apud res mentis"?
Thank you for the suggestion.
I was actually looking for a noun, but I like the idea of discursio mentis

It also occured to me that Cicero actually seems to have defined something similar to brainstorming in the quinque officia oratoris, the first of which is the inventio (gathering ideas) ... followed by the dispositio (clustering)

Inventio reminds me a bit too much of the English "invention", though

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Percursio cogitationum?

B

Bitmap

Imber Ranae dixit:
Percursio cogitationum?
I think this is a really good suggestion. I'm hoping to use this phrase in the classroom, and this one would have the advantage of both sounding catchy (at least to me) and revising the genetive plural of the 3rd declension

Bitmap dixit:
Hello!

Could anybody think of a catchy way to create a Latin translation for "brainstorming"?
Fortasse: "animo percurrere res proponendas".

Cum enim de "Brainstorming" loquimur, novas res, quae ad aliquod propositum áttinent, animis nostris percurrimus et excogitamus.

Bene vale!
Thomas Vulpius

Cicero92

Following Cicero's examples of transferring Greek words into Latin by calque, I think we should do the same for English - Latin translation :)

How about mentitonare? and the noun as mentitonitrus? Just a suggestion, really, but I would really enjoy single-worded translations which are catchy :) I'm sure that there are better ideas, but this one might just inspire someone to come up with a great one :)